Need help - PC blank screen

Pale

Newcomer
Okay, I've had some problem changing graphics cards and I handed it over to my friend whom is actually quite capable so I could play some Gears - however this kinda backfired since now whenever the PC boots up the screen remains blank as if there's no signal being recieved regardless to where I connect it to being the GPU or the motherboard.

He said that he changed the primary graphics adapter to the one in the MB and it worked earlier since I did it yesterday when I took at shot at updating my GPU. Now whenever it starts up there is a kinda long beep followed by 3 short ones.

Kinda.. Beeeep...Beep.Beep.Beep.

I need halp. :/

Well 1 Long and 3 short beeps is definetly a graphics card problem. Pull out the card, clean the contacts and blow dust out of the graphics port. If the card needs additional power, make sure that you have it plugged in and that it provides enough power. Reset the BIOS via the mainboard, insert the card and boot...

... let me know how it goes!

Yes, forgetting to attach the extra power lead to the card, not inserting it deep enough or a broken/disconnected fan (or a cable on it that keeps it from spinning up) are the most likely causes.

Also, you might need to fiddle with the BIOS settings of the on-board one. Try turning it off first, if that doesn't work enable it and set the plug-in as the primary one. It can be a bit confusing which card is which, generally the PCI one is the on-board.

I've connected the power lead to the card, still the problem persists.

I'm unsure how to reset the BIOS without being able to see it though. ;( The only method I know is through start up and pressing delete at the right moment. Now I can't actually see anything on the screen. Is there another method that I can use to reset the BIOS or enter it? :/

I've connected the power lead to the card, still the problem persists.

I'm unsure how to reset the BIOS without being able to see it though. ;( The only method I know is through start up and pressing delete at the right moment. Now I can't actually see anything on the screen. Is there another method that I can use to reset the BIOS or enter it? :/
LOL, I didn't think about that!

The easiest thing is probably to look up what jumper you need to place on the motherboard to clear the CMOS. Or simply remove the battery. Turn your computer on, wait a bit, turn it back off and remove the jumper/insert the battery. Then turn it back on.

Almost all motherboards with a video slot and an on-board GPU default to skipping the on-board one when you plug in a new one. And the ones that don't default to enabling the on-board one at all time.

If that doesn't work, your new video card is definitely not working. Take it out, clean the contacts with some alcohol, and try again. If that still doesn't work, you might want to test it in a different PC. If it works there, your PSU needs to be replaced.

Frank, I love you. :3

I googled to see what motherboard jumpers look like [I'm hopeless with hardware lol] and did what you said now my PC is back on and I couldn't be happier. :D Thanks a bunch.

Back