Need help on backing up my hard drive

Oblivion

Newcomer
For a good few months, my computer suddenly stopped working, possibly due to it not being braced with anything in the car and banging around all over the trunk when I was moving. So now it won't turn on. Well, it WILL turn on, but it won't load to windows, and I get a bunch of beeping sounds. I checked Emachines beep codes site, and unfortunately, it didnt' give me anything definitive. Said it could either be the RAM, the video card or the Motherboard (gee, thanks assholes!).

But at this point, I don't care too much about getting my computer working, since I'm supposed to be getting a new Laptop from my aunt that's like twice as better or something. However, what I would like to do is copy a good chunk of the files on my hard drive onto some DVDs or a flash drive. So, now my question is, how do I go about doing that?

From what I know (and feel free to tell me if i'm COMPLETELY off), I need to have make my current hard drive a slave drive, right? So can I just connect it to any ole computer, or does the type of hard drive, and Os and whatnot matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
doesnt have to be a slave, could be a master on a different channel or if its sata, sata doesnt have slaves

I'd use Puppylinux. You boot off the CD and can then take it out to burn stuff off the HDD. You'd want about 512MB RAM for it though.

Back