Need help finding Twilight Zone type episodes

hoom

Veteran
Hey guys,

I have been watching The Outer Limits DVDs my flatmate bought (both old & newer versions) & it got me thinking of some great episodes/movies I saw when I was a kid & which I always remembered as being Twilight Zone episodes.

So I started reading up episode descriptions on IMDB/Wikipedia but couldn't find any that sounded like what I was after, can anyone help me to figure out where these memories come from?

1: Something about the American Gothic painting.
This guy had the painting or a print of it in his house & was looking closely at it, noticed something strange. Don't remember how but the episode ended with a zoom out from closeup of him being stuck in the window of the house (which was what he'd seen that looked odd I think).

2: Family wakes up one day to find that their house is encased in steel or something. They spend the whole movie trying to work out why (aliens/quarantine/nuclear war?) & trying various methods to escape. I think it wound up being a government experiment to test their reactions to the situation?

3: Space explorers (I seem to actually recall this as a Startrek:Next Generation episode?) happen upon a nice planet with ample evidence of high technology civilisation but they can only read 2 people with their sensors.
Away team arrive to find 2 huge mechs battling it out in suburbia.
Turns out the mechs are controlled by 2 kids in different places who think they are just playing computer games but the game is set to kill the player when their mech gets destroyed, which is what happened to the rest of the population.

Ooh, another couple that come to mind but they were definitely movies:

4: B52 crew go on their mission which was orderd by rogue orders/some sort of communication malfunction, shoot down some US planes that were trying to intercept them, presuming that this was a deception by the Russians, drop some nukes on Russia & set off a full nuke war, ends with them finally being intercepted by some F18s whose carrier gets sunk so they don't actually shoot down the B52 & the 3 planes fly on until out of fuel before ditching. (note, this isn't Dr. Strangelove)

5: Similar to 4 but with nuclear subs & involving a night entrance to Sydney harbour which they hoped was going to be safe but has been trashed by the war.
I believe the version I've seen was a '90s remake of an older movie.

Awesome guys, don't seem to have heard of Night Gallery before but Tales of the Unexpected definitely rings a bell.

Number 1 definitely wasn't The Cemetery based on the synopsis. It definitely featured the American Gothic painting.

I think 4 must have been By Dawns Early Light, both seem about right according to the synopses but I'm pretty sure the one I'd seen was colour & it had F18s while both versions of Fail Safe seem to be black & white.

Yes On The Beach! I recognise the name :)

For my painting one, apparently part 3 of the pilot of Night Gallery involves someone getting stuck in a painting but its of a fisherman.

Closer to my memory of the episode is one from Charmed that I was reading about. Too new though & the painting doesn't seem to have been American Gothic. (Plus I'm pretty sure the witches weren't involved!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Night Gallery would be one of the my favourite shows of all time (though havent seen it for at least 20 years)
Hopefully its aged well (just watched a dvd of 'the green hornet' last night, great back in the 70s, but now shocking, they should of gone campy like batman, that is timeless)

Back