Need help choosing a new PSU.

TheWallace21

Newcomer
I was thinking about getting one of the Antec True Power supplies, possibly the 480W. When I got to newegg however, I saw extremely mixed reviews. I need to know if this is a good choice, or if there are any better options for around the same price.

I would look at anything but antec. There is alot of controversy over their patent of led fans. Although _it looks_ like they do infact have a proper case for it, they should have done a better job of explaining what they were up to.
epic

I'd buy one which has a high-rated 12V line.
Actually I'm a bit surprised that some psu manufacturers seem to have missed that nowadays you need more power on the 12V line than on 5V/3.3V. Nodody needs 45A at 5V, since todays motherboards use mainly the 12V line for cpus, and the high-end graphic cards also mostly draw from the 12V line (that's at least what everyone assumes, I don't know how much the cards draw from each rail, the card makers don't tell, and nobody has bothered to measure it!).
Yet there are lots of psus out there which have a 480W rating, but only 18A on 12V which might get you already into trouble with that prescott 3.4E + NV40 Ultra. Some manufacturers have realized that though, the enermax 350W for instance is rated at 26A@12V.

I like the look of the Tagan, but there doesn't seem to be anybody this side of Europe that sells it, online or off. Thermaltake looks cool, but just like mczak said, it is only rated 18a on 12v, and I want something that will last for the next couple of years. I don't mind paying a couple of extra dollars for something that is good, but I don't want to spend an ungodly amount of money getting the thing shipped from somewhere in Europe and having to wait a couple of weeks or more for the thing to get here. Does anybody know of any US sites that sell Tagan, or if there is something close in performace that is sold in the states.

Well I have an antec 550 (despite sig heh) and it is working fine I had a turbolink but it put out a bad signal or in other words teh voltage flucuated I am not saying it is bad perhaps it is my power as I just have a surge protector, but still my antec puts out smooth power anyway so I am happy. It is likea 430 or something the turbolink and it is sitting on my shelf.

Wow. Not exactly cheap, are they? I tried looking on newegg for that company, but I couldn't find any listings. If anybody else has any luck, please post a link.

i saw a thread here recently where someone said that some other company made the internals for PC P&C PSU's, and they were much cheaper...

All,

We have used Antec, PC Power and Cooling, Enhance, and others. All of those have been very good to us. We just got in 2080 Antec 550W True550s. If I were to buy one for my home, I think I would get an Antec.

Dr. Ffreeze

The only brand ive had issues with is powmax, those usually come with cases.

Dont forget most PC's are using generic psu's, and the vast majority never have a problem.

And dont forget, most of them do not have high end parts that take up lots of power.

A no name PSU for a gamer/overclocker is a serious problem.

Back