Need a cheap LCD

Otto Dafe

Regular
So I've been a diehard CRT user but this refurb. NEC I got 8 months ago is crapping out on me already, and I think I've had it. I prefer everything about CRT IQ, but everyone I've ever had has squealed for most of it's life and then crapped out too early (8mo. on this refurb., usually 2-3 years). Besides that, the power, heat, and I just generally think they're environmentally unfriendly (don't know for sure). Granted, I might of killed this one by slapping it to make it stop squealing, but I can't handle CRT squeal, it drives me up the wall.

My price range is <$200 :cry: and I was hoping you guys could give me a quick brief: what's good, what's bad? widescreen? dvi? refresh time? native res.? What about dead pixels, if I go through online retailer (almost always do) do I just have to eat those? I use the comp. mainly for work/browsing/games/movies, ok everything. I find anything above 1024x768 eye-wrenchingly small, but I like to crank it up in old games (x1950xt). I'm basically completely clueless here. Help!

20" for $199 now. To be frank you're not going to get LCD glory at your price range, hell you don't get LCD glory unless you're willing to spend $550+. But I will say that I'm just fine with my TN, 6-bit, not top of the line LCD. Great improvement over my CRT in nearly all areas, despite what people say. As typical, everything is WAY over stated.

No, you're quite right, and I don't expect top of the line, as I'm poor college folk. This looks a good suggestion. What do you think about dead pixels? Isn't newegg's policy less than 5 no return. Is that a big deal?

No, you're quite right, and I don't expect top of the line, as I'm poor college folk. This looks a good suggestion. What do you think about dead pixels? Isn't newegg's policy less than 5 no return. Is that a big deal?

My 22" has no dead pixels, the 19" has two. The two on the 19" do not bother me and I had to use a program to even find them, as long as they are not tight together they do not bother me. With that said, I'd double check over the policy at Newegg and also with the manufacturer, it would suck to get a really crappy policy down the line. I'd say 5 dead pixels is not really bad but it depends a lot on position, very much a personal preference type of deal.

If you don't need one right away, then watch the Hot Deal forums at fatwallet.com. A good deal just ended today (19th) - it was an Acer 22" WS LCD for $199 with a potential to use coupons from other stores ($50 off 200 or $40 off).

My 22" has no dead pixels, the 19" has two. The two on the 19" do not bother me and I had to use a program to even find them, as long as they are not tight together they do not bother me. With that said, I'd double check over the policy at Newegg and also with the manufacturer, it would suck to get a really crappy policy down the line. I'd say 5 dead pixels is not really bad but it depends a lot on position, very much a personal preference type of deal.

Thanks brother, I picked up that exact deal on newegg, it's pretty sweet., definitely the best thing going. To anyone (those 2% maybe) that don't have an LCD yet, I'd say go WS definitely, it just makes more sense for our type of vision. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with high resolution? This thing is 1680x1050 and it burns my eyes. I mean i love it but it's burns my eyes.

Back