NBA Live 14 for me. What did Father Christmas bring you?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Yes, that was my Xmas present this year, along with a new belt. :cool:

Pretty happy with NBA Live 14. Deep down I am a NBA Live fan despite what the reviews say 'cos of the countless hours of fun I had with those games when they were great -NBA Live 2004 / NBA Live 2005, NBA Live 2006 on the Xbox 360, one of the launch titles was so so though, still it looked impressive at the time-.

Still... I love NBA 2k14 very much, one of the best sports games ever. NBA Live 14 shows a lot of potential when they fix some gameplay details. Many things to fix but the sports genre is now better than ever with some competition.

Things like ESPN, head to head modes and others, and the "originality" of the game, since it gives variety to the genre are key points for me to like it.

EA are working hard on new additions, features and stuff like that, so they are taking players' feedback seriously.

I got Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 + Jill during the 360 sales event. Have yet to play it because I'm on holiday still.

I got Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 + Jill during the 360 sales event. Have yet to play it because I'm on holiday still.

I'll play you sometime once you're more familiar with the game. It would be great to get a little mini-B3D UMVC3 party going.

No new games for me. I'm holding off on buying any new systems until September----if I get good news, I'm getting both the X1 and PS4.

I had never heard of Jill, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is one of those fighting titles missing in my collection -SF IV too, oddly enough, especially when I got every single arcade fighting game on the system-, and I kinda like the genre.

I am glad I got a game this year for a change. I am certainly used to get coal and "a bloody run". :smile2:

This last expression is sarcastic here. The literal translation would be that you get a "run and mess your pants" instead of a present. It is meant for those who don't get their gifts from the Three Wise Men on the night before Epiphany, or from parents to their kids when they don't buy them anything which magically appears under the Christmas tree.

Even so, I hope you find nice things under the tree, people.

No new games for me. I'm holding off on buying any new systems until September----if I get good news, I'm getting both the X1 and PS4.
I am thinking about getting another Xbox One console for my brother later this year, not entirely sure -dropping the price would be essential for that- and I don't know... maybe a WiiU 'cos of Mario Kart and F-Zero.

If I pick up my WiiU this year because I am a massive idiot and am REALLY in the mood for some awesome fun.... the only problem is I'm so in love with that One that the WiiU is going to barely have any playtime.

Still totally unsure because of that and a serious lack of space for two consoles. PS4 will have GT7 some time down the line, we shall see...

Again, a problem of lack of space, and not being used to PS consoles at all -except for friends and siblings- are the handicap for me. I have had the Gamecube back in the time and it was my second console ever, but wasn't it for F-Zero GX, I was mostly playing the Xbox.

GT6 and Epic Mickey 2 on PS3.

Rayman Run on iOS. It's a free gift from Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" today. Yesterday was Hugo HD movie. Was surprised they actually gave out a HD movie for free.

EDIT: Wait, Hugo was from the day before I think.

I got a Nokia Lumia 1520. Boss ass phone...er phablet... whatever. crystal clear and fast. ill give my mother my 920.

I got some highend over the ear headphones and lots of winter apparel and several pairs of shoes...oh and a new AC1900 router.

No games for me, just some 20 year old port wine.. ;)
Except for the belt... your choice is a win as blackjedi previously said. I am starting to feel worse about NBA Live 14.

The game is so bad, I didn't expect it to be that mediocre. It has some interesting features, but compared to NBA 2k14, which is an epic sports experience, it is so so bad...

It's not just most of the gameplay -save a few controls, which are quite natural- which is bad, but the image is weird. On a calibrated TV every game looks amazing, but this one looks like it has too much contrast or whatever.

Not only that, the lateral cameras run at 60 fps, but my favourite cameras -baseline cameras- doesn't run at that framerate all the time. Creating a player also throws you out of the experience.

The options are so limited, the faces are so bad and generic and the players look so much like from the previous generation that I didn't feel identified with the player I created, I couldn't continue playing.

Still it has some nice modes, and it has potential, but it pales in comparison to NBA 2k14 and by extension almost every modern sports game out there.

The jumpshot animation is the same for every single player, and if you play with the Atlanta Hawks -my favourite team- for instance, shooting with Horford, feels the same as making a jumpshot with Korver, or Milsap or Teague.

My favourite part is the Challenges, based on real life matches and events and the ESPN support. Then again, the commentaries are very generic, but if there was the only thing you could criticise I'd be very happy. IT's not the case though.

The game is so bad, I didn't expect it to be that mediocre. It has some interesting features, but compared to NBA 2k14, which is an epic sports experience, it is so so bad...
It's frustrating there isn't a demo os NBA 2k14. Basketball isn't a sport that I am remotely interested in, indeed the last basketball game I played was Commodore's International Basketball for the C64 which was EPIC:

ScreenShot2013-10-03at4.33.37PM_original.png

Credit to the bleacher report article on 'Evolution of Basketball Video Game Graphics' for the image. I had no idea there was that many basketball games!!

But it was so much fun I think I would really enjoy another bout but I need to be really sure I'm going to love the gameplay before I drop £40 on it.

It's frustrating there isn't a demo os NBA 2k14. Basketball isn't a sport that I am remotely interested in, indeed the last basketball game I played was Commodore's International Basketball for the C64 which was EPIC:

ScreenShot2013-10-03at4.33.37PM_original.png

Credit to the bleacher report article on 'Evolution of Basketball Video Game Graphics' for the image. I had no idea there was that many basketball games!!

But it was so much fun I think I would really enjoy another bout but I need to be really sure I'm going to love the gameplay before I drop £40 on it.
xDDD, awesome pic. Those graphics have a lot of charm for some reason.

Basketball games for me have been some of the most fun games I've ever played.

Probably because of the fact that I dreamt about being a great basketball player when I was a kid and simply because of the fact that I used to play them with friends or siblings at home.

One of my favourite moments was when we created "Trainers Grandpa" using the character editor.

We created Trainers Grandpa as a very old man to play basketball. We edited him giving him the maximum height the game allowed, 2.31m I think -7,6" ?- and the minimum weight, so he looked as thin as a rake. :LOL:

It was completely ridiculous. We chose a pair of very long red socks for him, which reached his knees, and a couple of white protectors for the knees, completely white hair and the oddest face you can imagine. He looked soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old! :eek:

The funniest part was when we assigned points to his stats. We left everything at Zero, expect for the shooting part, we gave it the max, 99, for that.

That's why he was called Grandpa Trainers, because he looked old and stuff, PLUS he was a ball hog and he could even shoot his trainers if need be.

I mean, he was completely arthritic, 0 at everything, except for having a penchant for shooting indiscriminately. lulz

That's where the Trainers part comes from.

We have a local expression here that when a basketball player is a ball hog and shoots too much, we say "he is a sports shoes-thrower!". Which means he could even use his trainers to shoot if need be.

As for NBA 2k14 vs NBA Live 14, I am growing into NBA Live 14, it's quite (or very) bad sometimes but it gives variety to the genre and has some good points. It is a no brainer NBA 2k14 is the superior game though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, having played both games back and forth I have to say that NBA 2k14 is the better game overall, as a game.

When it comes to basketball though, NBA Live 14 is the superior game. It has many many flaws, especially the robotic animations, but it is a more realistic basketball game.

Better dribblings, smoother and more fun shooting mechanics, more realistic pace and character models -not as detailed as NBA 2k's though- that look like athletes and less bulky than the typical player on NBA 2k.

ESPN and the overall presentation of the menus is also something where NBA Live 14 shines, along with the different game modes.

That's where all the positive things stop, there is still a long way to go for the series.

All Star Game! I BELIEVE I CAN FLY, I BELIEVE I CAN TOUCH THE SKY. WOO.

The best game I've ever played. And the play of my life (videogaming life, if you know what I mean) :smile2:

I made it into the All Star team and played my best game ever. I recorded a video. Details in the description of the video.

Music: Space Jam--I believe I can fly.

I'll play you sometime once you're more familiar with the game. It would be great to get a little mini-B3D UMVC3 party going.

Oh hey, forgot about this. I've played it a few times, but... I really have no idea what I'm doing. XD Looks like they changed all the button play. :???:

Back