Nazi Moderators on this site.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by eezing, Jan 13, 2010.

1. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

I think that's the most brilliant quote I've ever read. I can only wonder what load of venomous horseshit you were spewing at your opponent in order to illicit that response.

This thread is all kinds of awesome.

Thanks OP!

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Wow, talk about unexpected flashbacks...

3. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I actually reimaged my laptop Monday night, and have been methodically restoring files ever since from various backups. Just four hours ago I came across an old Microsoft One Note 2003 document repository / binder / whatever they call it, and in there was that quote. I found it quite humorous, and then an hour ago I found this thread and laughed.

I have now deleted that file, so it can finally rest ;) It's oddly funny though -- he posts that quote, and the forum dies. However many months / years later, I find it again right when someone is bitching about the admins.

I quite like our admin staff actually, and for the OP, I say just GTFO. Forums aren't a democracy, and I'm of the mind that if you don't like it, you just get out. I've left quite a few forums because of Nazi moderators, and I've really yet to find a consistent "vein" of nazi-ism in this staff. I think pretty much every edit / delete / thread cleanup I've ever seen (and occasionally, been part of) is pretty much warranted if looked at as a whole.

4. green.pixel

Veteran

+1000. Other places, especially something like GAF are just [​IMG]... :cool:

5. tabs

Veteran

This place is an oasis that the mods do a good job of stopping people from pissing in.

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

If there ever was an occasion for a popcorn smiley this thread is it :lol:

7. dskneo

Regular

A small sentence "stay ontopic", even if bolded, would be much better without being so annoying.

The way you give warnings now looks like... a speech! I don't want to think about it. So much written and BOLDED! what happened? the president died? just say "stay ontopic".

8. DJ12

Veteran

Whenever I see stay on (whatever) I always think of Gold Five and instantly have off topic thoughts.

9. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

There's a reason why we handle it that way. Because 90% of the time that small sentence gets ignored. Often deliberately ("I know this is off-topic but..."). I know it might be an inconvenience, but it gets people's attention.

10. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

To add to what Stefan said, "stay ontopic" is what's expected in a forum. If people need a reminder every other page to stay on topic, they're doing it wrong.

More verbose guidance is exactly so we focus on the specific problems of the thread, rather than reafirming something everyone ought to know and follow already.

11. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Kinda funny how the word nazi stays in style, got called that quite a few times as a mod here.

12. Sxotty

Veteran

JR that is b/c to many Nazi=Bad/Mean/Unjust. So they just spam it to their hearts content.

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Not that I agree with the nazi moniker but this particular post seems a little curious to me - http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1385062&postcount=153

That particular "off-topic" conversation started within the first 10 posts of a 150 post thread and it originated from a question and answer in the interview that the thread is about in the first place. Has the meaning of "off-topic" changed?

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

You'd be better off PM'ing willardjuice to suggest an alternative solution. OT pretty much means not following the title's description, even if the content is related. We'll afford some leeway but sooner or later have to make a call that people are in a deep discussion that isn't meant for this thread. If your argument makes sense, willardjuice may turn...Jewish (opposite of Nazi??), and spawn out the OT into a new thread.

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I was more asking why that conversation was considered off-topic in the first place. Post #10 in the thread has a direct quote from Huddy discussing the exact issue so what is the topic of the thread if not the interview questions themselves - Huddy's charming personality?

I'll check with willard though. Thanks.

16. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

In an effort to be transparent, here's my response.:razz:

17. green.pixel

Veteran

I vote for new thread! :)

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

And as I responded to willard via PM I propose that mods shouldn't feel compelled to intervene in a thread because they're "bored" with the discussion. Especially not a mod who was engaging in the same conversation himself. Achieving consensus isn't a goal and doesn't factor into whether posts are on-topic or not. As long as the discussion is civil and on-topic anyone who is bored with the exchange should feel free to stop reading the thread, mods included.

19. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I think Willard should have to wear all black and jack boots. :yep2:

20. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Too Nazi? Is it possible to have moderate Nazism?

The moderation remit actually covers keeping discussions organised and preventing repetitious debates when there is already (or should be created specifically for the purpose) a thread on common threads of discussion. If there isn't a PhysX thread to discuss it's value when it's frequently raised, there should be.

I think we're awaiting an update to the forum FAQ to integrate some changes that make this clearer.