Nalu/Dawn/Dusk on ATI?

jvd said:
dusk works too. Dunno about nula .
they got dusk working? :oops:
last time I checked it "worked" but didn't look anything like it should

I can run the NV40 Clear Sailing demo just fine on my NV35 without modification.

Anyone know if the Timbury demo will work too?

(Sorry for the OT btw)

Im pretty sure dusk has never been emulated properly.

The only thing stopping dusk and probably even nalu seeming as both can run on a gffx (nalu VERY slowly) is someone spending the time to make a wrapper and with the amount of nvidia specific extensions that would be a sizeable undertaking especially for nalu where it likely is using commands that cant map at all to commands accepted by the radeon so you'd have to think up other ways to achieve the same effect,

I would like to see the Dusk Ultra Demo running on my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro aswell..... sadly there is no working wrapper out... :(

dan2097 said:
The only thing stopping dusk and probably even nalu seeming as both can run on a gffx (nalu VERY slowly) is someone spending the time to make a wrapper and with the amount of nvidia specific extensions that would be a sizeable undertaking especially for nalu where it likely is using commands that cant map at all to commands accepted by the radeon so you'd have to think up other ways to achieve the same effect,

No.

Since NVIDIA's "extensions" are way beyond ARB_fragment_program and ATI doesn't support nothing more, there is no way to write a wrapper. Specially on Timbury where I think it uses FP blending (so no way to emulate this with a wrapper) and Clear Sailing where you can't fake vertex texture fetching...

On the other hand, most R400 demos run fine with a GFFX... ;) Expect of course when they ask for a FP rendering target. But then you use a normal buffer and it runs fine (with some glitches....) :p

Leto said:
Dawn has encountered a problem and needs to close. blabla...

Cant get the Fairy.exe running on my computer (p4&x800xtpe). Maybe it's the x800 :cry:
The x800 cards don't work with the Dawn wrapper. The reason probably is that the old OpenGL driver doesn't support these new cards. I've written a wrapper for the wrapper, though, which makes it work again. I've sent my wrapper to Rage3D, so that they can update their Dawn/ATI tutorial, but they didn't update it yet.

I'm not aware of that Dusk would work on ATI, though. jvd, do you have some details?

oddfellow said:
I can run the NV40 Clear Sailing demo just fine on my NV35 without modification.
It uses vertex texture fetches for waves simulation so you definately can't run it "just fine" on NV35 ;)

Anyone know if the Timbury demo will work too?
It needs FP16 render targets with FP16 blending and FP16 texturing so it won't work at all.

Sigma said:
dan2097 said:

No.

Since NVIDIA's "extensions" are way beyond ARB_fragment_program and ATI doesn't support nothing more, there is no way to write a wrapper. Specially on Timbury where I think it uses FP blending (so no way to emulate this with a wrapper) and Clear Sailing where you can't fake vertex texture fetching...
I think you should spend more time reading his response. He said Dusk and Nalu demos, not Timbury and Clear Sailing.

It's unlikely the Dusk shaders are much more complicated than the Dawn shaders. The Nalu shader uses dynamic branching, but that can be simulated with the stencil buffer (fast) or with cmp instructions (slow).
991060 posted the shader in a thread, and you can see how simple the branching is.

If someone gave me the source code for the Dawn wrapper, I could write a Nalu wrapper in a day or two.

Mintmaster said:
It's unlikely the Dusk shaders are much more complicated than the Dawn shaders. The Nalu shader uses dynamic branching, but that can be simulated with the stencil buffer (fast) or with cmp instructions (slow).
991060 posted the shader in a thread, and you can see how simple the branching is.

If someone gave me the source code for the Dawn wrapper, I could write a Nalu wrapper in a day or two.

I wonder how will you do that because you have to change states (specially the stencil buffer) and that in a wrapper is kind of very very hard to do. Not to mention that you would have to break the shader apart for each condition. And hope the stencil buffer isn't being used already.... And hope that the instruction count and the limit of 4 texture indirection doesn't create a problem on non NVIDIA cards...

Back