My new mobo has arrived (but I'm too chicken to install it).

Goragoth

Regular
I got my new mobo (Abit NF7-S as I got recommended here) and it looks nice but, well I'm too chicken to finally install it :cry:
Actually I got it on Tuesday and now its Friday and I still haven't done anything. Well, I have been reading up stuff on the net but that's just made me even more nervous.

Most worrying:
1) Cleaning the thermal pad remains of the HSF and CPU and putting the Arctic Silver 5 on. So far the to CPU installs I've done were with a new CPU and HSF using the default stuff.
2) Lots of stories how windows won't boot after a mobo swap. Sure, I can back up the most critical of files on CD but with most of the 120gigs on my main drive full of stuff I'm never going to make everything safe. And windows isn't on its own partition either (yeah, big mistake that was). I guess my other drive (another 120 gigs, mostly full) should probably be fine even if windows decides to kick the bucket but still...

Anybody have any encouraging words? Anybody done a mobo replacement without a clean windows reinstall where everything worked just fine?

1. Soak the base of the heatsink in Acetone. After a while of that, use a cotton swab or something similar to wipe out the old compound. Finally, rinsed the hs base with 70% or higher isopropyl alcohol. Use cotton qtips soaked in isopropyl alcohol to clean the cpu. Perhaps drip a drop or two onto it to let it soak for a bit. I feel that it's better to let some alcohol sit on it a bit to start dissolving it rather then rubbing the cpu hard.

When applying artic silver, have several representative examples of grains of rice handy--- use that to guide you on how much as5 to use. I always end up using too much, which is probably why my cpu temps are a bit high.

2. If the file's not backed up, obviously it's not very important. So don't worry about it. :devilish:
I've done several mobo upgrades... it usually works out fine but I've ended up doing the reformat thing sometimes, too.

Probably the best advice I can give is to take your time. You've done the research so you know what to do. (You have done the research, right?) Now just do it.

Cleaning off old thermal pad residue or paste:

Sharp, straight-edged knife, cotton ball, oil-free acetone. That's all you'll need.

1) Use the knife to scrape off the majority of used-up thermal pad, if you used thermal paste you can skip this step.

2) Squeeze out acetone on the cotton ball. Rub all surfaces thoroughly. Change ball when appropriate & repeat until process finished. Should take you like 30 seconds to a minute at most.

No need to "soak", that just makes the stuff evaporate, and no need to use alcohol. Acetone rocks. :D

Use the knife to scrape off the majority of used-up thermal pad
Doesn't that risk scratching the surface of the heatsink? Maybe I'm a little too paranoid :oops: . I will get hold of some acetone though, I thought the alcohol would be enough but I guess it looks like acetone really is a must (and I hear that nail polish remover is a big no-no because of the other stuff it has in it).

Anyhow, the thing I'm probably most worried about is Windows throwing a fit and not accepting the new board (at least its the same chipset so I guess the chance of it working okay isn't too bad). I'm probably making way too much fuss though, even if it kills win2k I can just install another copy of it on the drive and still get to my files, right? I'll backup the critical stuff anyway of course. ;)

As for moving to a new motherboard, if the old one was running the same nForce2 chipset that the NF7-S has, then you should be fine. Otherwise, backup, just in case!

And if it's any comfort, I feel chickenshit about EVERY pc project before I get started...I really do. Butterflies in my stomach and absolute dread that I'm going to do whatever it is I plan to do and then my PC won't boot again...EVER! :oops:

I think that is a GOOD THING(tm) and I hope I continue to feel that way, I think that paranoa helps to make me work safer/smarter so I don't make any mistakes.

I'll worry the day I go into a project figuring it's a piece of cake and nothing could go wrong, 'cause that is the day that everything will!

(BTW-I gotta admit that getting a second computer really helped take away those feelings of dread. Knowing I had a back-up way to hook up to the internet to figure out how to fix what I screwed up is an insanely comforting feeling.)

PVR_Extremist said:
I use nail varnish remover to remove the gunk. Acetone isn't readily available over the counter in the uk.

DO NOT USE NAIL VARNISH REMOVER!!!! It has loads of additives, colourings and other impurities. Please read the document I linked you to:

Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing.

Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.

Also, you can buy Acetone from any chemist in the UK. I bought some from Boots not long ago.

PVR_Extremist said:
Acetone isn't readily available over the counter in the uk.
Neither is it here, but having a wife who is a pharmacist has its advantages. ;)

Diplo said:
DO NOT USE NAIL VARNISH REMOVER!!!! It has loads of additives, colourings and other impurities. Please read the document I linked you to:

Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing.

Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.

Also, you can buy Acetone from any chemist in the UK. I bought some from Boots not long ago.
I do stick with lighter fluid, most good naptha based lighter fluids are very pure and I like the smell better than acetone.

Besides, it's a Zippo thang. ;)

Back