My microsd keeps loosing its data. Any tips on how to check it's the phone or microsd that is borked

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
My 64 GB microsd keeps loosing its files. But I only have other 32GB cards.

I'm not sure it's my phone that is borked and buggy with 64GB card. Or my microsd card that is at fault.

I'm considering a block test, if it works fine for all blocks in 64GB capacity, it should be fine right?

So it's my phone that is borked?

On the other hand if the block test fails, then it's the microsd that is borked.

Thanks

From my experience, MicroSD cards are very flaky and I've lost the contents of several over the years. Just need to make sure you have frequent backups. I'd say you're probably more likely to lose your data on a custom ROM than a stock ROM (assuming you're using Android). I also had a phone a few years back where the SD card slot wasn't perhaps as 'tight' as it should have been and the connection of that was flaky until I flipped a small piece of paper into the gap on the other side of the card to keep it more tightly in place! Perhaps worth a try.

These days, it is pretty easy to have your photos backed up automatically using various cloud services and, for me at least, this is the only thing I couldn't replace if the SD card became borked.

@Mariner actually I already set my phone to automatically backup to my home PC and Google photos but only when it's charging and on WiFi.

Unfortunately I was out of town, documenting my cousin's engagement party. No WiFi. No backup.

I'll try to recover the data after got home.

If after test my microsd is fine, I'll stick a paper like you suggested.

I would stop using a flaky flashcard. That way you won't end up shooting yourself in the foot if the card forgets any important piece(s) of data...

I would stop using a flaky flashcard. That way you won't end up shooting yourself in the foot if the card forgets any important piece(s) of data...

Yeah if the test showed that the microsd is borked, I'll buy a new one.

Data is important.

But if it turns out fine.... Bloody LG and their buggy phone!

Back