My Keyboard.....

Can only have x numbers of keys pressed down at once, how do I increase this number?

my new keyboard can handle one less key than my old one GRRRR :devilish:

AFAIK it depends upon the chip inside your keyboard, and maybe your mobo too (don't remember if they change that AT spec).

Is it such a problem anyway ?
You're unlikely to strike more than 4 keys at once, except if pissed off or your cat is walking on your keyboard, in which cases you don't want any output anyway ;)

It's keyboard-dependent due to the way the key matrix is laid out inside (the keyboard controller doesn't have 1 input pin for every key, so the pins that are available are laid out in a X/Y grid pattern). Certain key combos will either not register or produce "ghost" keypresses depending on the exact configuration of this grid.

I personally use a Logitech Elite keyboard, and it is very good in this regard. In fact it's overall a very good keyboard.

Guden Oden said:
It's keyboard-dependent due to the way the key matrix is laid out inside (the keyboard controller doesn't have 1 input pin for every key, so the pins that are available are laid out in a X/Y grid pattern). Certain key combos will either not register or produce "ghost" keypresses depending on the exact configuration of this grid.

I personally use a Logitech Elite keyboard, and it is very good in this regard. In fact it's overall a very good keyboard.
i once opened up a keyboard to clean the keys (bad idea), and saw that there were 3 plastic sheets under the keys. does this make it a x/y/z grid then?

epic

I can only press 3 keys at once on my current keyboard, this screws me over when I am crounching and moving around and want to do anything else, like check how many players are left (tab) or put my silencer on (alt fire) or whatever. It really makes a difference because sometimes I'll be jumping with the autosniper and I'll zoom in to shoot when I land but the alt fire key doesn't register so I stay zoomed out, fail to shoot and die.

now thats frustrating when you've got your aim perfect :devilish:

Dave B speaks the truth, in general.

Hell, I had trouble moving period at one time when I switched keyboards. Now I'm back to my old one and all is well.

epicstruggle said:
does this make it a x/y/z grid then?

Nah, that's just like any circuit board that requires more than two layers to deliver all the traces to their proper destinations. It's still a 2D grid. ;)

And DaveB, try using your mouse buttons more, most games accept thumb buttons as input these days. I always put secondary fire on middle mouse and jump on right mouse, works great. :D

As for the number of key presses, it depends on which keys are pressed. This keyboard handles the standard Duke Nukem layout just fine which - as you fine people all remember ;) - is arrow keys for movement, alt as strafe modifier, shift for run, A/Z for jump/duck and ctrl to fire. It's quite possible to run, duck and shoot while moving diagonally on the Logitech Elite.

Dave, you might be able to get away with your current layout with secondary fire on a keyboard key if you move from wasd to gyhj instead or some such.

Back