My home PC suddenly gone offline from Chrome Remote Desktop. Any idea how I can remote in?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
I don't know what happened, but I think someone at home logged my account out of chrome. Thus disconnecting it from Chrome Remote Desktop.

Because for some reason, I've never met a person that use incognito window to login to their account, or "add another account". They always log out the current account instead.

So I assume someone was using my home computer and log out my account.

Any idea how can I remote into my home PC?

I think I've set RDP on it but I don't remember the port... The wifi router mobile app also only have very limited settings (no ports settings). Any idea how can I scan the ports?

I also think I've set Steam stream to launch notepad.exe as a crutch remote desktop years ago but I can't find it in my library.

Any other way I can remote to my home PC?

If your router doesn't allow you to setup port forwards then I don't see how RDP would work.

IMO the best option for remote access for those that can't run a VPN server is teamviewer (or something similar) because it doesn't require any port forwarding.

If your router doesn't allow you to setup port forwards then I don't see how RDP would work.

IMO the best option for remote access for those that can't run a VPN server is teamviewer (or something similar) because it doesn't require any port forwarding.

It allows port forwarding thru the web admin but the only remotely accessible admin menu is thru the mobile app. Unfortunately it doesn't expose the port forwarding menu.

IIRC the ports are already forwarded but I dont remember the port. So I need a way to scan for open ports. I tried an online scanning website and it only shows port 80 and 9443 were open. But its weird , im pretty sure I forwarded way more than 2 ports

But its weird , im pretty sure I forwarded way more than 2 ports
Forwarding ports doesn't mean they're listening. You have to have something listening on that port to register, and your ISP has to allow that to go through. I'm surprised you have port 80, rarely allowed on residential.

It allows port forwarding thru the web admin but the only remotely accessible admin menu is thru the mobile app. Unfortunately it doesn't expose the port forwarding menu.

IIRC the ports are already forwarded but I dont remember the port. So I need a way to scan for open ports. I tried an online scanning website and it only shows port 80 and 9443 were open. But its weird , im pretty sure I forwarded way more than 2 ports

If you don't remember it's going to be difficult.

Maybe set up something more robust for the future? OpenVPN will run on just about anything.

Forwarding ports doesn't mean they're listening. You have to have something listening on that port to register, and your ISP has to allow that to go through. I'm surprised you have port 80, rarely allowed on residential.

They even allows dedicated IP for 2 dollars a month extra

If you don't remember it's going to be difficult.

Maybe set up something more robust for the future? OpenVPN will run on just about anything.

Depends on the hardware you have available.

Personally I use pfsense. I had it running in virtual box for over a year purely for OpenVPN but 6 months or so I migrated my Intel NUC to proxmox and now I'm running pfsense as my router/firewall including a OpenVPN server. Very easy to set up as it's all GUI. There are many guides online.

Other options are getting a dd-wrt compatible router. Setup on that looks pretty straight forward as well and if you don't need a lot of speed you can get compatible hardware for as little as 50 bucks I think.

Other options are running OpenVPN on Linux. I think there are installation scripts or even specific distros available. Something like this should be easy to set up. https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install though I haven't tried that myself.

Wireguard seems to be in fashion lately for VPN setups.

As for setting up other items, look to running them in Docker container on Linux or WinOs. You only need to change a few parameters and get easy installs and updates that way.

Wireguard seems to be in fashion lately for VPN setups.

But it still lacks widespread support, right? From a user perspective the biggest advantage appears to be speed, but only if you need like gigabit speeds or something. Even my 2016 NUC i3 does over 170mbps on OpenVPN and that is probably limited by the ISP/VPN provider and not the hardware.

It's been growing but I dont do purchased VPNs so I can't really judge, other than seeing it mentioned more and more and being added into a few server software like UnRaid.

Back