My 'hands on' with Splinter Cell and Vice City

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Some some quick thoughts on these two games I rented before I go to sleep.

Splinter Cell

-Very nice level design and detail, but linear gameplay throughout the levels detracts from the 'reward' of figuring an obstacle out (ie: don't feel special for solving problem X, its the only way to do it
-Plot is actually surprisingly interesting if you're into world politics
-Maybe its just me, but I _ALWAYS_ run out of ammo half way through a mission (and no I'm not trigger happy), thus the last half is just irritating
-Trial & error factor grates on nerves severely (ie: mission failed if: touch the street, sound an alarm, or kill a civilian [even though they're trying to kill you!])
-Excellent use of DD5.1, hearing footsteps adds immensely to gameplay
-I think this is just me, but the 'stealth'/hiding in shadows premise of the game is kind of thrown out of whack when you have 3 glowing circles on your head [yes they give off a lightsource]
-Accents are cheesy, to go with the gritty realism I would have preferred Russian w/sub titles
-Character detail is a little low. Sam could use some per-pixel effects if we have to look at the back of his head for the whole game. Over-the-shoulder aiming reveals some pretty fugly textures/poly count (which again breaks from the rest of the presentation).

Thus far: ~8/10

GTA: Vice City

-Right off the bat I noticed how underpopulated the city is compared to GTA3
-Stronger plot == good for my thin attention span
-Voice acting is decent, but the main character is totally cast wrong. He doesnt sound ANYTHING like a coke lord, more like a highschool teacher.
-Increase in character detail detracts from overall graphics, in that it was an 'art style' in GTA3, but the attempt to add facial features/hands/etc just comes off _UGLY_.
-With the exception of the plot, the gameplay remains identical to GTA3 (thus far). Which for some of us, isn't exactly a good thing.
-IMO, the voice sample quality is a little low. I don't know exactly what its at, but its not CD quality. No excuse for this really, atleast in cutscenes.
-DTS sounds ok. EA's SSX Tricky DTS sounded much crisper/clearer with better positioning than Renderware's implementation.
-Music is pretty good, Neunundneunzig luft Ballone rules :D
-Addition of a third-person (ie: speaking) protagonist is much much better than GTA3's second-person. Even though he doesn't fit the part, it helps eleviate the impending boredom (for some of us).
-Combat system is still screwed. I'd prefer a first person/not moving (a la MGS2) aiming system as an option. The autotarget still likes to ignore hostiles and pick on roller bladers/old ladies.
-Camera doesn't really keep up with the game (especially when sprinting). Manual camera with the right stick would REALLY be nice, granted this would make it Halo-ish, but if it works for Mech Assault....

Thus far: ~7.5/10

Ok so that was a little more than a 'few' observations... be interested to see what the rest of you think (without turning it into a GTA-beatdown). Still, definitely not GOTY material for either IMO. Those that have the "Like GTA Gamplay=1" registery setting will feel otherwise (which is fine), but I don't. I was hoping for a little more out of Splinter Cell... but I knew what I was getting with VC (and was pleasantly surprised-ish).

Hehe, look at Requiem for a Dream. Did he come off as a thuggish-drug lord? Nope, looked more like a scrawny kid strug out on heroin to me ;)

"-Trial & error factor grates on nerves severely (ie: mission failed if: touch the street, sound an alarm, or kill a civilian [even though they're trying to kill you!])"

I agree with this very much. I expect a little bit of trial and error, but the amount needed in this game is ridiculous. 10+ tries in some instances. Attempting to take someone hostage from behind is like a 50-50 proposition sometimes.

As far as graphics, other than the lighting, I'd classify them as slightly above average. The textures and poly counts are nothing extraordinary.

I'm only at the Oil Rig mission but so far I'd rate it higher than you did. Somewhere in the 9's.

"-Stronger plot == good for my thin attention span"

I didn't think the plot was much better. You're still running errands for people (who then just leave) for most of the game.

"-Voice acting is decent, but the main character is totally cast wrong. He doesnt sound ANYTHING like a coke lord, more like a highschool teacher"

I thought the voice acting was very good, but I much preferred the silent guy in GTA3.

Overall there's just something about the game that I don't like. There's something mising that I can't put my finger on. Whether its the setting, the bright colors, pastels, the "deeper" mission design...there's just something missing. I beat the game, but whenever I get the urge to play that kind of game again I'll be popping in GTA3 rather than VC.

It ranks with Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 as my biggest gaming disappointments.

6.5 :cry:

"Hehe, look at Requiem for a Dream. Did he come off as a thuggish-drug lord? Nope, looked more like a scrawny kid strug out on heroin to me."

Er...what? Are you thinking of Jared Leto?

Er, YEAH. I got them mixed up after I posted that and forgot to edit :eek:

The Oil Rig is actually one of the highlights of the game, as its a little more scripted and fast paced. Wait till you get to the CIA level :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

just read you thing about the llightsource, no, they cant see it. Its was used as a gameplay thing, cant remember what for though, probably so you can see yourself in the pitch black without night vision.
They cant see it

Back