My GPU boosts ABOVE its original design... do i need to be concerned?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by orangpelupa, Apr 30, 2020.

1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

my gpu is the cheapest Chinese brand i could found https://en.colorful.cn/product_show.aspx?mid=102&id=1789 and it lists boost to 1785MHz. The only review i found is this https://electrodealpro.com/review-c...us-graphics-card-for-esports-people-vnreview/ and it says its boost mode also 1785MHz.

so it was designed to boost to 1785MHz, but mine consistently boost to 1875MHz and occasionally to 1890MHz.

Do i need to be concerned? As all of you already know, i have really bad luck with electronics...

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Of course you need to be concerned! There's a bloody worldwide pandemic going on! :shock:

Rootax and orangpelupa like this.
  3. Davros

Legend

If it bothers you you can limit the boost clock with msi afterburner
    ps: a 2060 super with 6gb ? unusual

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

its 1660 super. Tried limiting the power to all the way to the left, the boost goes lower but still higher than stock boost.

im usually CPU limited instead of GPU limited so, yeah, to be safe i prefer if i can lower its clocks to default.

5. pharma

Veteran Regular

There might have been a vbios update which the initially reviews did not use. A while back I flashed an upgraded vbios and noticed the default gpu boost clock also increased. I don't think you have to worry unless you start to see artifacting in the games and applications. Looking at other brands most boost clocks are over 1800 for your card, and that's before a manual overclock (if you decide to).

You also might want to check what vbios is currently in the card against what came out with the card.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  6. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I don't think it's an issue. I'm seeing my 2070 super boost above 2ghz as well and it's frequently hitting 1900 something mhz while the boost clock is supposed to be something like 1850.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Haven't Nvidia GPUs been boosting well above advertised clocks the last 2 or 3 generations? And why would you think it's an issue?

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

NVIDIA cards tend to boost well above their advertised specs. In my experience the advertised boost clock is more like a base clock.

It's nothing to worry about, the cards are hardware limited to a certain TDP which you can manually raise by 10% but that's it.

9. Davros

Legend

Officially the boost clock of my 2070 is 1620 but according to msi afterburner it boosts to 1860