My crazy idea of the year

Each year I have one really crazy idea. Something that is really out there, typically technologically impossible at the moment, and unique so far as I know. Sadly, they are typically only extreme extensions of known (or at least imaginable) technology and don't offer any new insights into physics and such.

This is 2003's entry.

Forget the space plane. Forget a conventional rail gun. Forget the space tether. Here's the most efficient way I can think of to send an object past Earth's gravitation.

Dig a tunnel through the center of the Earth, line it with some uber-material, equip it with a means of accelerating a craft of your choosing, and walla... big ass space gun. 10 mile long rail gun up the side of a mountain? Please.

If the tunnel were evacuated and you dropped a craft in at one end, after nearly 40 minutes it would just come to rest level with the other end. Nudge it along during its half hour trip (using magnetics, pressure pulses, or whatever else you dreamed up), and you could easily send it hurtling out of the solar system.

The total energy required to accelerate a payload/craft to escape velocity would be the same as for conventional rocketry, but there are some important differences as well. (1) You would not have to carry fuel, and thus would not have to accelerate that fuel, which in itself requires some additional fuel. (2) The time/distance over which that energy has to be expended is greatly increased, meaning only a nudge for a sustained period is required vs. a sustained explosion for a much shorter distance. Kinda like a long wind-up I suppose.

Ok, ok, so there are a couple of minor technical problems, aside from the obvious lack of an uber material to withstand the heat and pressure. Tectonic movement might complicate things just slightly. Any "stationary" gas in the tunnel would cause a problem, as it would be exceptionally dense at the middle and might not like a craft coming through at some 40000+ mph. And it wouldn't seem to be particularly useful for sending items into orbit. You'd need to keep the tunnel rather clean as well, since there might be this odd tendancy for debris to collect in the middle. And an "engine failure" might leave you with a bit more difficult of an emergency exit than jumping out and opening a parachute. :)

Ah... but it's fun to dream wild dreams sometimes. ;)

I think the rail gun idea or even the space elevator is a much better use of our R&D $$$'s. Either way you significantly decrease use of fuel AND increase gains in new tech.

later,

Your idea is just a rail gun drilled through the earth. It gains nothing from being drilled through the earth, the net kinetic energy added will be zero. Whatever kinetic energy you gain as you go deeper, you will lose to potential energy as you start to climb back. You seem to be thinking of some kind of "slingshot" effect. That only works if your trajectory is set up with a third body, such as the Sun.

If you had such an ubermaterial to sustain a tunnel through the center of the earth, you could probably build a space elevator, gun, or space ship far more economically.

DemoCoder said:
Your idea is just a rail gun drilled through the earth.

Yeah, but it's drilled through the Earth! :)

It gains nothing from being drilled through the earth, the net kinetic energy added will be zero.
It gains something very important - length. I thought it was clear in my post that the main benefit is the length involved, which means the acceleration required to reach escape velocity is much smaller than any "conventional" means - especially a 10 mile long rail gun.

Whatever kinetic energy you gain as you go deeper, you will lose to potential energy as you start to climb back. You seem to be thinking of some kind of "slingshot" effect.
I think you need to reread my post. I'm not quite that ignorant. ;)

If you had such an ubermaterial to sustain a tunnel through the center of the earth, you could probably build a space elevator, gun, or space ship far more economically.
Yeah, but that's not the point. A tunnel through the Earth is much more outrageous, ludicrous, and insane!

These once a year ideas always come in some whacky dream, and they always amuse me the next morning. I figured some of you guys might enjoy entertaining a crazy idea once in a while. It wasn't meant to be serious, of course.

lol, just a few minutes ago I opened up the latest issue of Discover magazine, flipped to an article about the nature of gravity, and right there at the beginning was a full page picture of a globe with a hole in it with a caption asking what would happen if you drilled a hole from the North Pole to the South Pole through the Earth and dropped a bowling ball through it.

:LOL:

um... maybe the guy writing or editing that article was psychic and projected that image into my mind while I was sleeping, causing me to have a really odd dream. :)

Just struck me as a really odd and humorous coincidence. Of course, their use of the image had nothing to do with launching things into space, but it was still kinda weird seeing that picture. What are the odds? Probably about the same as life starting from a bunch of organic chemicals! ;)

PC-Engine said:
I think it's a great idea, but it's gonna need A LOT of power for 30,000 miles of electromagnets ;)
:), couldnt you also use the earths core? doesnt it have a magnetic field weak as it is. :)

later,

Back