My cpu is always at half the clock

fehu

Veteran
I have a new notebook with i3 3210M, that is supposed to run at up to 2.5GHz, but instead it's reported from the taskmanager and cpu-z as running at ~1.1GHz.
My last notebook was a Win7 with an older i3, and that notebook felt really really snappier.
It's broken or there's some misconfiguration somewhere?

k4vl.png

Have you checked it while running a cpu intensive program? If it's still low, you can check the power options in control panel. Go to advance power settings and check processor power management.
Btw, I'm using desktop computer. On laptops it usually have separate profile for when plugged and unplugged.

I changed the advanced settings but still can't test if the cpu can go to the max speed.
I've used super pi (1M@32s, is too low?), cpiuburn (apparently not working), compiled a project on visual studio express, and upped the dpi on an image to 1200 in photoshop. Nothing above 1.15GHz in the taskmanager.
What program can I use to saturate the processor?

Yes, and in particular the notebook's battery is at 100%, is alimented by the line, and switched to max performance energy profile.
I've tried prime 95 and cinebench 11.5 and it got stranger. It stays at low cpu frequency as always, but the taskmanager reports a stable 47% total cpu utilization for both the programs.

I don't know then. If the windows is preinstalled by a particular brand, sometimes it has its own power management software.

Take a look in the BIOS/UEFI. See if there's any weird settings there that might cap your performance, maybe to extend battery life or something.

1. You are running on mains power ?
2. why is your bus speed 100mhz mine is 266mhz (different cpu of course, but ypu arnt running pc100 memory)
can you post a pic of cpu-z memory tab

It was the Samsung program! By default was set as "silent fan"! I've nerer open that thing from hell and was getting mad
Now the cinebench jumped from 88 to 204 and even the hdd operations are faster
Thank all!

Back