My case sounds like a aircraft filled with chainsaws.

sfj

Newcomer
...and people sleeping in the neighbouring room are not pleased. I could probably reduce the noise level with some better case fans, but I'm thinking of taking steps towards silencing my box once and for all.

I'm going to get a 'silent' 450W PSU (not sure which one)
I'll add a Zalman passive chipset cooler.
I'll purchase watercooling blocks that will fit a 9800 pro and a Barton 2800+.
I'm going to remove 2 to 3 hard drives and put them in a 'file server' box in a cupboard.

I'm a complete newbie as far as water cooling goes- although I did once keep tropical fish. But that was more about water heating, water filtration and water aeration.

Will I still need case fans for the remaining 2 to 3 hard drives, or will passive cooling be enough? Which cpu and vga blocks are worth the money? What about the rest of the cooling system (pumps, tubing, anti-algal stuff)?

Confused.

Crikey. One extreme to the other.

I've about six PC's in the office and it's pretty quiet. I recommend:

1. Quiet PSU - preferably speed adjustable. I've got some Enermax adjustable ones that do fine.

2. Quiet CPU fan. www.quietpc.co.uk have several excellent ones.

3. If it's a balls-to-the-wall machine, a big case front fan (say a 92) ducted to the smaller size. Run this at low speed to be silent.

4. I don't buy motherboards with fans on the northbridge

5. An ATI video card ;)

6. Quality soundproofing material. The quietpc stuff is again brilliant.

This reduces most PC's to near silence.

The office gets up to 25 degrees plus in the summer sometimes, which usually provokes one of the PC's to start hanging a bit every year - easily fixed.

Why don't you just us a fanless heatsink with a heatpipe that's bolted to an all aluminum PC case? That way you'll just need one big quite low rpm fan. Also how about a fanless PS?

Back