My Brand New E-Penls

lopri

Regular
Fresh from the operation..

Athlon64 X2 4800+ @ 2.6GHz
2x1GB OCZ Titanium DDR3200 @ 2.5-3-3-5 (1T)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
BFG GeForce 7800GTX OC @ 490/1.35
2x74GB Western Digital Raptor
Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Lian-Li V1000
ZALMAN CNPS 7000B-Cu
Enermax Noisetaker E701AX 600W

.... it still hurts. 8)

So far so good, no stability problem except that I had to replace a Raptor. (was DOA) and memory refuses to operate at its advertised spec(2-3-2-5).

Temps are quite satisfactory at 39C (idle)/46C (load), but Lian-Li V1000 is definitely not for a quiet system. Also, 7800GTX idles at 49C and loads at 75C+.

I was a bit worried because this system was my first attempt at AMD platform. Now I wonder why I haven't already made the switch. It's like night and day. (Then again, I liked the HyperThreading very much.)

I ran 3DMark05 for fun, and the result was surprising.

lop

I'm surprised you went with relatively cheap ram considering you got a 4800+ and 7800 GTX. Why not just get the OCZ EL platinum?

I think I hear e-screaming from your e-girlfriend --you want THAT to go WHERE??

Also r(eal)-screaming from your r-girlfriend --you paid WHAT?

You guys have no manners.

Would you ask girls how much they paid for their boobs? :D

Well, jokes aside, it surely cost me dearly. I tried to save here and there, but in the end, it was still a big chunk of money.

1. 2 Raptors and Zalman HSF: Got CompUSA cards for my B-day and used them. No expense on my side.
2. AMD 4800+: OEM, $999 from Monarch
3. BFG 7800GTX: $549 from Bestbuy (!?)
4. OCZ RAM: $320 from Monarch
5. ASUS Board: $190 from ZZF
6. Lian-Li: $199 from Performance-PCs (I highly recommend this vendor.)

I went with the OCZ RAM because I really wanted 2Gigs, and I learned 4x512MB configuration is undesirable on AMD system. (either 1T -> 2T or DDR400 -> DDR333) So that left me very little selection indeed.

Sound card and PSU are from my old machine. So they didn't cost me anything this time.

You guys do the math for the total. I'm not good at it. ;)

lop

fallguy said:
Actually, the Lian Li is for a quiet system.

The PC-V1000 performed about 4 degrees cooler compared to the Guardian and the MT-200, which surprised us because of the way the internal layout was designed. The PC-V1000 was also surprisingly quiet, even though the case's exterior shell was covered with holes; the 120mm fans were quiet enough to keep the noise levels down.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2040&p=10

Maybe in Anandtech articles, but back in my reality it is not very quiet compared to what I was used to or hoped for. But, then again, I never used Tornados and then decided to compare things that. It is not extremely loud, but it certainly isn't quiet unless you install a fan regulator or some-such.

Congrats on the new system! It looks suspiciously like something I have been thinking about. I just need that mainboard, CPU, and some video card that will solve my e-penis problems. (yes, it's looking rather limp I'm afraid.)

Yeah, it's a damn shame you can't do more with these things than play games and surf the web. If they'd put stuff like calculators or the like on them, they'd be even more useful. :rolleyes:

;)

wireframe said:
fallguy said:
Actually, the Lian Li is for a quiet system.

The PC-V1000 performed about 4 degrees cooler compared to the Guardian and the MT-200, which surprised us because of the way the internal layout was designed. The PC-V1000 was also surprisingly quiet, even though the case's exterior shell was covered with holes; the 120mm fans were quiet enough to keep the noise levels down.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2040&p=10

Maybe in Anandtech articles, but back in my reality it is not very quiet compared to what I was used to or hoped for. But, then again, I never used Tornados and then decided to compare things that. It is not extremely loud, but it certainly isn't quiet unless you install a fan regulator or some-such.

Congrats on the new system! It looks suspiciously like something I have been thinking about. I just need that mainboard, CPU, and some video card that will solve my e-penis problems. (yes, it's looking rather limp I'm afraid.)

Mine is quiet, and I dont have any baybus type hardware. Its quiet, because it has great air flow, and you dont need fans cranked up on high to cool things.

3rd forum Ive seen this topic in. ;)

lopri said:
2. AMD 4800+: OEM, $999 from Monarch
I think AMD at least ought to send you a plaque of appreciation or something for you slapping down a grand on one of their pieces of refined sand! :D

That system should serve you well :). Just wait till you get another 7800GTX and get 12,000 in 05!!!

*don't hurt me. I'm just kidding*

DudeMiester said:
Why did you get Titanium, they're especially for servers, not ultimate performance:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2005/127

You would have been better of with one of their TCCD or TCC5 based RAMs imho.

Problem was, I really couldn't find 1GB sticks. I know the Gold/Platinum Series from OCZ are better for OC'ing and all, but they're all 512MB modules. And I wanted to have 2GB. Knowing Athlon64 will reduce the performance when all 4 of the memory slots are populated on the motherboard, it was a natural choice for me to pick up 1GB sticks. I also had a short Q/A with OCZ technician on AnandTech, and he said the Titanium Series shouldn't have a problem with mild OC'ing. (like 215MHz~230MHz)

lop

Actually with the new Sandiego and Venice cores (the X2 4800 is two Sandeigos), the performance loss is much less. You'll have to run 4x512MB at 2T instead of 1T, but you could probably get almost as good clocks at 2x512MB.

Still at least with 2x1GB you can upgrade to 4GB potentially! I'm planning to go that way myself when I upgrade eventually.

EDIT: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

Useful database there, just for 1GB modules. Should have gone with that 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix, they're getting 265Mhz 3-3-3-8 1T.

I up'ed the VDimm to 2.80 and now my memory runs at 2-3-2-5 (1T), instead of 2.5-3-3-5 (1T).

And with VCore 1.425 the CPU is stable at 2.70 GHz. :p

Back