Retarded moron
Veteran
Isn't that dangerous?
Should I be worried?

Measurement is in centigrade/celcius.

I haven't even overclocked it yet. :?
Guess I need a watercooler to oc my CPU. :oops:

Okay, funny thing.

nVidia's temperature detection seems to say my CPu is always going around 53-60 degrees c, my BIOS says it's going 30 degrees c. WTF?

I restarted my CPU right after playing a stressfull game, there is no way my CPU temp can go from 60 to 30 in a matter of 3 seconds. :?

Who's right? nVidia or my BIOS?

BTW: Idling my PC on my desktop seems to keep the temp at 53 degrees c according to nVidia's temp monitor and my BIOS says around 25 degrees while idling. It only takes 3 seconds to restart and get into the BIOS, large temp drops don't occur in a matter of seconds unless liquid nitorgen is involved.

This is fucked up.

Dude, you said it yourself....it's an AMD 64.

What temperature did you expect it to run at? 64c? 65c? :|

EDITED BITS: Bad late-night ninja edit.

Can't you answer my question please? I'm worried that maybe nVidia's readings are correct and my CPU runs around 53-60 degrees normally.

Well they're probably both not fully accurate, but I'd go with the bios.

The only good way to measure temperatures is with a probe or thermal laser, but you can measure temperature changes pretty accurately.

So use them both to see what the change in temps is, I bet they're almost exactly equal 'tween full load and idle in both bios and software.

Don't panic Kruno, it's ok...as long as your PC is running ok I think you're fine. ;)

What motherboard? Sadly, there are many that read temps wrong. Stock heatsink? Thermal tape, or crappy paste? Good air flow in the case? There are so many things that can lead to high temps.

ga-k8nnxp

The heatsink is on tight and so is the pad between heatsink and CPU.

The heatsink feels cool and so does the PCB of the mobo under the CPU.
So it seems nVidia's temp sensor is wrong.

At least nVidia's System Utility can pickup my fan speed properly unlike Easytune 4 which says my fan isn't running. :? :LOL:

Hmmm..... a "pad" between heatsink & cpu?????? Get rid of the pad and get some quality thermal compound.......

I meant that the connection isn't 100% ok. If you mean that you removed the heatsink without renewing the thermal compund I think that this should be the case. You should remove the thermal pad (not so good for CPUs) and apply thermal paste (the silver stuff conducts and is impossible to remove again so beware!).

Pads on heatsinks are notorious as being fairly inefficent in terms of heat transfer. And IF you are overclocking/overvolting the CPU, then I can believe those temps.

Vadi said:
I meant that the connection isn't 100% ok. If you mean that you removed the heatsink without renewing the thermal compund I think that this should be the case. You should remove the thermal pad (not so good for CPUs) and apply thermal paste (the silver stuff conducts and is impossible to remove again so beware!).

I just put the heatsink which had the pad on it already onto the cpu and I slightly pulled the heatsink off but it was stuck so I locked in the heatsink.

It's running at stock.

Well then you should replace the pad with thermal compound as martrox suggested. Thermal pads are more durable but don't transfer heat that good.

Kiler .. while playing games the highest my temp goes it's 50C and (OC'd) stock it's like 48C. ( but i have Zalman CNPS-7000Cu ). ambiant temp around 24C

EDIT: Idle temp= 39-40C (24C) And btw my temp has never been close to be high as yours even with the stock heatsink (highest i've seen prolly around 53C ever not overclocked ( never tried to OC with the stock cooling).

RainZ

K.I.L.E.R said:
Isn't that dangerous?
Should I be worried?

Measurement is in centigrade/celcius.

I haven't even overclocked it yet. :?
Guess I need a watercooler to oc my CPU. :oops:

Okay, funny thing.

nVidia's temperature detection seems to say my CPu is always going around 53-60 degrees c, my BIOS says it's going 30 degrees c. WTF?

I restarted my CPU right after playing a stressfull game, there is no way my CPU temp can go from 60 to 30 in a matter of 3 seconds. :?

Who's right? nVidia or my BIOS?

BTW: Idling my PC on my desktop seems to keep the temp at 53 degrees c according to nVidia's temp monitor and my BIOS says around 25 degrees while idling. It only takes 3 seconds to restart and get into the BIOS, large temp drops don't occur in a matter of seconds unless liquid nitorgen is involved.

This is fucked up.

25C~30C it's simply too low and impossible ... Or maybe if you are in an igloo. So i'd say i trust more the nvidia thing .. but try MBM5.

RainZ

There was an article not long ago comparing Asus/Abit's onboard temperature settings vs an accurately placed thermal probe.

I space what the results were, but basically there was about a 30c difference 'tween all three of them.

I don't think any onboard monitoring is "accurate" in the sense that it's telling you the exact temperature, but they're more like a scale that is exactly 10 pounds light/heavy....even though it won't give you the exact results it'll still tell you accurately when you gain 5 lbs. ;)

THAT'S the point I was trying to make Kruno, don't worry about it. Figure out what your own baseline for idle/load is and then you can find the changes for any tweaks/OCing you do.

Trust me on this, I'm not trying to steer ya wrong buddy. :)

Ahhh I misread ET4, ET4 detection mimics my BIOS's.

PIC

My system fan and power fan were confused by me.

Oh and Rainz, you should come down to Australia, Melbourne during winter. It's most likely around 10 degrees c in my room. :LOL:

rainz said:
25C~30C it's simply too low and impossible ... Or maybe if you are in an igloo. So i'd say i trust more the nvidia thing .. but try MBM5.

RainZ

Not true. Maybe for air cooling..

Killer, get some AS and clean off the CPU and heatsink. Apply the AS, and your temps should drop a little.

Your temps are fine though, for a stock cooled heatsink.

Thanks for the advice guys.

It seems my Athlon is running quite cool and I've overclocked it 50MHz and temps seem to be the same.

I'm going to leave the cooling solution as is as I'm quite happy with it and my temps are low and the back of the mobo where the CPU is quite cool.

fallguy said:
rainz said:

RainZ

Not true. Maybe for air cooling..

Killer, get some AS and clean off the CPU and heatsink. Apply the AS, and your temps should drop a little.

Your temps are fine though, for a stock cooled heatsink.

True as well you cant reach 25-30C with air cooling on this cpu with his stock heatsink .. dunno why you say that Fallguy

RainZ

Back