My android phone randomly reboots, any way to retroactively read the logs?

Well isn't that the nature of log files? The logger can't know upfront what you'll be looking for ;)

I'm sure the logs are time stamped so can't you just turn it on, wait for your phone to reboot and check the log entries around that time?

Well isn't that the nature of log files? The logger can't know upfront what you'll be looking for ;)

I'm sure the logs are time stamped so can't you just turn it on, wait for your phone to reboot and check the log entries around that time?
It sucks battery like mad :(

In Windows the log is always there as part of the system. No additional overhead. No need to manually record.

I don't think logcat should take up that much resources though. You can run it from ADB so if its draining your battery too fast you can charge while taking logs that way.

It's not that it eats battery but it makes my cpu stays at high clock :(

The reboot randomly happens, I can't just left my phone there red.

dang, it has not restarted since i put logcat record :/

so... maybe the bug is too low cpu frequency or too deep sleep resulting in restart? because with logcat running, it seems fine.

If your phone is stock, I don't think it is because of the CPU running too low or anything related to the DVFS or phone state. Of course something might be corrupted thus make the phone unstable. My phone once overheat so bad that it probably corrupted something in the system file that made my phone unable to read FAT formated storage. I thought it was a hardware problem caused by the overheat until I tried to format my SD card to NTFS and it managed to recognize it! But NTFS support is poor on my phone, thus I use ext4 for my SD card.
Btw, the overheat was really bad as in it was actually made the phone shutdown itself with the overheat warning. It was so hot that I actually felt the need to actively cool it down.

Anyway, I still think it was the cat.

If your phone is stock, I don't think it is because of the CPU running too low or anything related to the DVFS or phone state. Of course something might be corrupted thus make the phone unstable. My phone once overheat so bad that it probably corrupted something in the system file that made my phone unable to read FAT formated storage. I thought it was a hardware problem caused by the overheat until I tried to format my SD card to NTFS and it managed to recognize it! But NTFS support is poor on my phone, thus I use ext4 for my SD card.
Btw, the overheat was really bad as in it was actually made the phone shutdown itself with the overheat warning. It was so hot that I actually felt the need to actively cool it down.

Anyway, I still think it was the cat.

It is stock Android but this phone is full of bugs and LG abandon it faster than the exodus.

One of the most ridiculous bug

LG g pro 2 advertised as 4G LTE, complete with ugly LTE label on its back cover.

But surprise! Lte mode is not available hahahahahah

You need to manually turn it on from service menu. Even worse, it will be disabled again every restart.

The solution? Root it and delete LG LTE setting apk in system partition.

Ridiculous right?

Edit:

When this phone is broken, I'll only buy phones from Sony or Xiaomi.

Guaranteed upgrade for YEARS

Unless they sign a contract with you for those updates I wouldn't say those updates are guaranteed.

Anyway updates are one thing but quality of software is something else. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to go with Chinese manufacturers is because it seems in a lot of cases the software is half done, requiring a lot of updates.

I've always owned HTC phones and though they are pretty poor on the update front, whatever is released does work as it should.

And really, for 99,9% of the users it doesn't matter whether they use android 4, 5 or 6.

Unless they sign a contract with you for those updates I wouldn't say those updates are guaranteed.

Anyway updates are one thing but quality of software is something else. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to go with Chinese manufacturers is because it seems in a lot of cases the software is half done, requiring a lot of updates.

I've always owned HTC phones and though they are pretty poor on the update front, whatever is released does work as it should.

And really, for 99,9% of the users it doesn't matter whether they use android 4, 5 or 6.

Don't care about contracts. Sony and Xiaomi has proven that they are awesome at giving updates.

Sure Sony is as slow as turtle and almost always buggy at launch, but they do update for years.

On the other hand, this Chinese brand called Xiaomi is superb

Fast update (weekly! For flagship devices)
Relatively bugless compared to LG and Sony
If there is a crucial bug, usually fixed in a day if you use DEV ROM. A week if stable ROM.

NO other Japan, Korean, American, Chinese company give update as many and as fast as xiaomi.

Edit:

What I mean by update is not only about major Android version.

But also bug fixes :)

Sony is slow as snail in updating major Android version, but they are quick to acknowledge bugs (usually in a week) and publish update (about a month).

Old unpatched android phones are vulnerable to many malwares, security exploits and other hax. I wouldn't want to be stuck using one.

Isn't it's the majority of Android phone in the market is hackable? There is a major bug in stsgefright that works for like all phones up to lollipop.

There's also newer bug that works for more phones but not as easily doable remotely as the stagefright exploit.

Basically, sticks to play store to be safe. Rogue apk with that exploit surely can infect majority of Android phone without hassle.

Have you got a SD Card? If yes, the problem can possibly come from here…The SD card after time got some little loose (or other thing like vibration, dust, etc… can interfered) and so made you phone restart. Test with a new Sd card or without SD card if you can.

Have you got a SD Card? If yes, the problem can possibly come from here…The SD card after time got some little loose (or other thing like vibration, dust, etc… can interfered) and so made you phone restart. Test with a new Sd card or without SD card if you can.

Yeah it got a SD card. Thanks, I'll replug it. I can't use the phone without it though, almost all my software is installed there.

It hasn't rebooted since I replug the SD card! Thank you!

Don't care about contracts. Sony and Xiaomi has proven that they are awesome at giving updates.

Sure Sony is as slow as turtle and almost always buggy at launch, but they do update for years.

On the other hand, this Chinese brand called Xiaomi is superb

Fast update (weekly! For flagship devices)
Relatively bugless compared to LG and Sony
If there is a crucial bug, usually fixed in a day if you use DEV ROM. A week if stable ROM.

NO other Japan, Korean, American, Chinese company give update as many and as fast as xiaomi.

Edit:

What I mean by update is not only about major Android version.

But also bug fixes :)

Sony is slow as snail in updating major Android version, but they are quick to acknowledge bugs (usually in a week) and publish update (about a month).

People don't want to update their rom every day or every week and if these manufactures were so great they'd make sure the software they release isn't full of bugs requiring weekly updates. That is why I said I rather have few but high quality updates then frequent buggy updates.

Back