Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

Actually as an illegal immigrant I'm surprised he's got a vote at all.

Out of touch joke. With so much actual idiocy on the republican party, why go after the most cliche and easily disputable strawmen. It only weakens your position.

Going republican to "own the libs" is pretty lame, but right on brand for musk. I can't imagine he was voting democrats before anyway, not could he be donating much with the constant cold shoulders he's been getting for years from Biden, and the corporate left in general.

I was expecting him to join the Yang-gang, seems more synergetic with Musks view of the future than republicans. Both seem to be aimed at the fully-automated luxury space comu/capitalism and UBI and all that (which would definitely not spiral down into full blown dark ages and neo-slavery because, uh, optimism)

But Musk seems commited to being a wild card in every step of the way

From an outsider perspective that don't follow Elon life closely, it seems his instabilities on Twitter always happens when his personal life got hit by issues.

This last one's seems starts after the fiasco between him and his last wife

I don't know, but your theorizing seems highly speculative. Billionaires doing philantropy is nothing new. Gates was just the most known and visible personality when he started.

Also, most of Musks recent endeavors are also targeted at evolving humanity (in his vision of evolution) from electric cars, to space rockets, to brain-chips that connect pigs to the telepathic internet.

Both of them are atheists that abandoned their highly lucrative tech companies, MS and PayPall, to go into their own vision of world saving.

I really don't know why Musk gets more of a pass than Gates with conservatives, nor why the reverse is true with the left.
I strongly disagree. Musk is trying to make money. He isn't saving anything. Gates is trying to give his money away. Musk is a PR man. He has his cult like followers and they trumpet the message that he is trying to save the world so people hear it a lot an repeat it. There is no world saving going on at all. Only money making.

Gates says the rich need to be taxed more. That is what makes the right angry.

Musk says he should pay less tax then he does b/c he is rich. He says the wealthy should pay no tax b/c they have shown they are better at asset allocation than the government. It is just the job creator mantra again.

I strongly disagree. Musk is trying to make money. He isn't saving anything. Gates is trying to give his money away. Musk is a PR man. He has his cult like followers and they trumpet the message that he is trying to save the world so people hear it a lot an repeat it. There is no world saving going on at all. Only money making.

Gates says the rich need to be taxed more. That is what makes the right angry.

Musk says he should pay less tax then he does b/c he is rich. He says the wealthy should pay no tax b/c they have shown they are better at asset allocation than the government. It is just the job creator mantra again.

I personally do not want to live in the world Musk wants to create for us, much less be his little puppy in it.

But what he does say is that none of his current endeavors are aimed at making himself richer. That is what he SAYS and it could all be lies, but its true that if he all he wanted was easy money, he would never have invested in electric cars and space travel.

His justification is he wants to push humanity foward. I don't doubt he may believe that in parts. I also suspect strongly that he likes the fact he is becomeing extremelly influential and powerefull. He's making himself into a new Rockefeller type character, which is both incredible and allarming.

I'm all for not taking Musks PR at face value but that sure as fuck should apply to Mr. Gates just as much, no?

Hiding your fortune and influence behind philayropy is the oldest trick in the god damn book. Nothing smells more like calculated optics than going straight for giving medicine to empovireshed african children.

Lets not forget Bill is one of the biggest lobbyist for mantaining pattents for medications and vaccines with big pharmaceutical conglomerates. Many of which, he is a big stake holder of.

During the covid crisis, no less, he was adament of not allowing the vaccines patents to be broken up, or allowing the technollogy to be disclosed to other labs so that more vaccines could be manufactured.

No billionare is a saint, and taking a picture with an african baby in your lap should be too simplistic of a PR move to convince any grown adult, but apparently, it still works more ofteb than one would expect.

Nothing smells more like calculated optics than going straight for giving medicine to empovireshed african children.
Would your average american care about that ? Would he have more effect building a hospital in the u.s or something

Would your average american care about that ? Would he have more effect building a hospital in the u.s or something

Yes the average american finds the african baby way more impressive. Just look at pop culture. Helping africa is the most stereotypical good-samaritan deed imaginable. It scores way more points that building a school or a hospital in america. More so today than ever, by the way, with how common place self-hating 1st world guilt has become in america. We are not in the 70's anymore. Your typical american is not a patriotic gun-loving redneck. It is a terminally on-line vegan city-boy who loves green peace and posturing about disenfranchised minorities and what-not. Bill gates, like many other influential personalities and organizations, knows exactly how to impress that demographic.

The truth maybe in the middle. A little bit of this. A little bit of that.

Elon may have a self purpose to push the tech forward and also maybe also want his ego to be fulfilled.

Bill gates maybe want to help africa and also make himself looks like a good person and keeps getting richer.

EDIT:
btw I'm not saying which one are a better person. better, good, bad, sometimes are so murky and not clear cut.

maybe a bit like the old saying: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
even if a person's intention was good, it doesn't automatically means it'll bring good, and the things considered good can be considered bad from different perspective.

but that also doesn't mean we cant have opinions of people. and we also can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Elon may have a self purpose to push the tech forward and also maybe also want his ego to be fulfilled.

Bill gates maybe want to help africa and also make himself looks like a good person and keeps getting richer.
I don't disagree but one of these people is an attention-seeking sociopath with no impulse control, and the other is Bill Gates.

What people do, and how they act and behave, is far more telling than what people say.

Your typical american is not a patriotic gun-loving redneck.
That was meant as a joke right? I (and I’m not alone) see the USA as a split country one part of which is made of red necks with a gun in one hand and a bible in the other. Yes like cow boys of the 18 and 19th century. Abortion right declining and mass killings are proofs of that. Then there is the other half which sometimes goes well too far (I can’t stand the cancel culture, history matters!). It looks like society is getting polarized (like in many other countries) with two camps unable to talk.

That was meant as a joke right? I (and I’m not alone) see the USA as a split country one part of which is made of red necks with a gun in one hand and a bible in the other.
I think that stereotype has lost its relevance more than 10 years ago already. It was indeed a good summation of a good portion of the population in the 70's and 80's, but I think culture and socio-economics has shifted way more than many realize.

Those old-school conservatives do still exist, but they are a small and dying breed in the current context. The alt-right types are replacing them.

No bible for them. They are atheists, sometimes gay, into technology and progress (what they call progress anyway) and surprisingly anti-war. They just distrust government and authority heavily, and can't shut the fuck up about "teh culture wars" and SJWs and whatnot.

Does that description seem familiar? It's Musk. He fits the modern concervative archetype like a glove. That's why I believe he is going republucan now. Though I think its a strategic mistake. He is incapable of subtlety though, nor impulse control. I can't imagine him not having an ugly and messy downfall...

Yeah, but he ain't gonna be able to back out with that excuse without also paying a billion dollars for violating the contract since Twitter has been reporting the same spambot percentage for years and Musk never batted an eye about it while trying to get the deal set up.

Back