Music / Video for comparing speakers?

It should be something you know well and it would be nice if it had a high dynamic range.

Hmm for control, I'm using akg k44 headphones and my brother.

Currently still baffled why the Sony home theater sounds worse (less punchy woofer, too warm satellites) than cheap ass mismatched surround speaker it replaces. Compared to the headphones, both of them seems did not miss anything on satellites. Says my brother, the Sony also sounds less punchy.

Tried with a bunch of Zedd for various sounds, forza horizon for the woofer, and ff x-2 ost for everything together and dynamic range.

But when tried for movie or Dolby atmos demo clip, it have better 'presence'.

So that's how this topic was made. I'm looking for more things to try and want my ears to hear where this Sony speakers win over the old mismatched speakers (other than 'presence').

@London-boy Which one? :D

Last edited:
The highest quality thing I've had on my PC seems to be Terminator 2, english language sound track (not from xvid + 128K MP3). The bar scene in the beginning, up to the getaway on the motorcycle. The motor cycle is loud and bassy, it should feel like it's here.

There's decent quality music on soundcloud.com, which is at least clean copyright-wise (and doesn't require to sign up, etc.). Good place for local bands/DJs/artists to self-publish there.

If you want to test LFE, go with Black Eyed Pea's Boom Boom Pow, the difference is like night & day between good and bad setups.

im curious,
how do you determind the speakers need more power or not?

ill try the terminator and zed's music tomorow or later today after submiting thesis. Want to blast through something mwahahaha.

Look at the specs. See how many Ohms the Sony set needs.

Or maybe the Sony set is just crap, who knows.

tested on boom boom pow

Sony
- generally sounds more "spread" and warmer.
- the woofer sounds more soft but the boom never miss a single time.

cheap speaker
- generally sound more "directional" and brighter.
- the woofer punchy awesome but missing some boom on certain place.

Zed's music
similar result, the far away boom is more noticable on the cheap speaker but it felt more on body on sony speaker.

EDIT:
can i daisy chain both woofer? :D

@Bludd

sony
Amplifier Section
POWER OUTPUT (rated):
Front L + Front R 100 W + 100 W (at
3 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%
THD)
POWER OUTPUT (reference):
Front L/Front R/
Center/Surround L/
Surround R: 167 W
(per channel at
3 ohms, 1 kHz)
Subwoofer: 165 W (at
3 ohms, 100 Hz

cheap speakers
Output RMS40 W

Frequency Response
Satellite Speaker 100 Hz - 20 KHz

Sub Woofer 20 Hz - 200 Hz

Speaker Unit
Woofer
4 inch/4 Ohm

Satellite
3 inch/4 Ohm

The highest quality thing I've had on my PC seems to be Terminator 2, english language sound track (not from xvid + 128K MP3). The bar scene in the beginning, up to the getaway on the motorcycle. The motor cycle is loud and bassy, it should feel like it's here.

There's decent quality music on soundcloud.com, which is at least clean copyright-wise (and doesn't require to sign up, etc.). Good place for local bands/DJs/artists to self-publish there.

This was one of the best tests of my old sound system as well, but I had someone come over and bring his LaserDisc. He also had Outbreak, which had some great environmental surround effects.

For pure sound quality, I like the Spiderman movie intro on BluRay (Master Audio track).

For music, just about anything Steven Wilson mixed, his latest is Hand Cannot Erase.
For heavier stuff Metallica's Black Album is probably one of the best sounding metal albums of all time, Lars drum tracks may be quite simple but those drums sound amazing. Don't know how you make an album that sounds that good and then do one that sounds awful and has no redeeming qualities and one that was recorded decently enough and then master it so loud it clips the whole damn time.

Back