multisampling and multipass fbos

nirradi

Newcomer
Hello,

i was wondering if applications tend to use these two effects at the same time - multisample buffer and rendering to textures - at this point i tend to believe that working hard to anti-alias the textures and then working hard again to use these textures and pass them through a trilinear filter and then maybe more multisampling AA in the final pass - would be a waste.

i guess i'm also asking if when a user turns on his multisampling AA through the window context - does it affect the fbos created by the application -

ty, Nir.

It depends on what you want to use the texture for. If it's for some kind of perturbed reflection texture it would probably not be worth it to multisample it. But there are many cases where you want your render targets to be multisampled.

Using multisampling on the window context does not affect FBOs.

Using multisampling on the window context does not affect FBOs.

so how would one go about turning on multisampling for client owned fbos as opposed to the window-system-owned buffer? (i have no recollection of such an openGL api)

10x

Create renderbuffers instead of textures, then use GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample or GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage.

Back