Multiple attacks kill atleast 80 in Mumbai

Updated: Death toll climbs in Mumbai attacks

MUMBAI (Reuters) - At least 80 people were killed in a series of attacks apparently aimed at tourists in India's financial capital Mumbai on Wednesday night, with television channels saying Westerners were being held hostage at two five-star hotels.

At least 250 people have been wounded, police said.

There was also an attack on the Cafe Leopold, perhaps the most famous restaurant and hang-out for tourists in the city, and at hospitals and railway stations.

"I guess they were after foreigners, because they were asking for British or American passports," said Rakesh Patel, a British witness who lives in Hong Kong and was staying at the Taj hotel on business. "They had bombs."

"They came from the restaurant and took us up the stairs," he told the NDTV news channel, smoke stains all over his face. "Young boys, maybe 20 years old, 25 years old. They had two guns."

Police said targets included the luxury Taj and Oberoi hotels, with television stations showing the lobby of both hotels on fire and people being evacuated from the Oberoi with their hands on their heads.

Fresh explosions were heard in the early hours of Thursday.

"An encounter is going on at the two hotels, the situation is grave," Vilasrao Deshmukh, the chief minister told CNN-IBN TV.

"Our men are on the job."

Maharashtra state police chief A.N. Roy said attackers had fired automatic weapons indiscriminately, and used grenades, adding that they were still holed up in some buildings.

"These are terrorist strikes in at least seven places," he told the NDTV news channel.

"Unknown terrorists have gone with automatic weapons and opened fire indiscriminately. At a few places they even used grenades.

Some of the injured were evacuated from the Taj on the hotel's golden luggage carts, while waiters in black and white formal wear and chefs were seen leaving the Oberoi.

"The lobby of the Taj hotel is on fire," a police spokesman said. "We are trying to find out how many people are inside the hotel."

Sourav Mishra, a Reuters reporter, was with friends at the Cafe Leopold when gunmen opened fire around 9:30 pm. He has received injuries and is in St. George's Hospital.

"It was a big noise and one car was involved, definitely not more than that."

India has suffered a wave of bomb attacks in recent years. Most have been blamed on Islamist militants, although police have also arrested suspected Hindu extremists thought to be behind some of the attacks.

*Updated*

No one has claimed responsibility for the latest Mumbai attacks.

Police said targets included the luxury Taj Mahal and Oberoi hotels, with television stations showing the lobby of both hotels on fire and people being evacuated from the Oberoi with their hands on their heads.

Hemant Karkare, the chief of the police anti-terrorist squad in Mumbai, was killed during the attacks, police said.

In Washington, the White House condemned the attacks. France, current president of the European Union, also condemned the attacks and hostage-takings.

A European official was among the wounded.

"My hotel is surrounded by police and there are gunmen inside," European lawmaker Ignasi Guardans told Spanish radio from the Taj. "We are in contact with some deputies inside the hotel, with one in a room and another hidden in the kitchen. There's another official hurt and in hospital."

Fresh explosions were heard in the early hours of Thursday.

"An encounter is going on at the two hotels, the situation is grave," Vilasrao Deshmukh, the chief minister told CNN-IBN TV. "Our men are on the job."

Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil said there were around four or five attackers in each of the two hotels.

"They have attacked hotels, they have attacked the hospitals, they have attacked the railway station," he said, adding that two attackers had been killed and two arrested.

KOREANS AND EUROPEANS CAUGHT UP IN ATTACKS

A driver told Reuters at least 50 Koreans were stuck inside the Taj with their drivers waiting outside.

"We were just getting ready to pick them up, when we heard the first blast, police did not let us get past and they (the Koreans) are not answering the phones," Deepak Aswar, the driver said. Europeans were also caught up in the attacks.

"I was in the restaurant inside Oberoi and I saw this series of gunshots and death which I don't want to see again," a Spaniard who declined to give his name told Reuters.

"I crawled out into the kitchen and waited there, until I sensed it was all quiet and seemed over."

Maharashtra state police chief A.N. Roy said attackers had fired automatic weapons indiscriminately, and used grenades, adding that they were still holed up in some buildings.

"These are terrorist strikes in at least seven places," he told the NDTV news channel.

"Unknown terrorists have gone with automatic weapons and opened fire indiscriminately. At a few places they even used grenades."

Some of the injured were evacuated from the Taj on the hotel's golden luggage carts, while waiters in black and white formal wear and chefs were seen leaving the Oberoi.

"The lobby of the Taj hotel is on fire," a police spokesman said. "We are trying to find out how many people are inside the hotel."

Sourav Mishra, a Reuters reporter, was with friends at the Cafe Leopold when gunmen opened fire around 9:30 p.m. He has received injuries and is in St. George's Hospital.

"I heard some gunshots around 9:30. I was with my friends. Something hit me. I ran away and fell on the road. Then somebody picked me up. I have injuries below my shoulder," Mishra said from a hospital bed he was sharing with three other people.

The wreckage of a red scooter, the remains of shop awnings and broken glass were strewn across the street.

Armed police, rifles cocked at the hip, set up barricades. Local people were seen yelling at each other, angry that another terror attack had hit the city.

Another Reuters reporter saw a hospital ward full of injured people with bullet and shrapnel wounds. Many people were crying as the injured were brought in on trolleys.

News Source: Multiple attacks in Mumbai kill at least 80 | Reuters

--------------------

Damn, multiple attacks. I wonder who is responsible for this. Two hotels under siege and a hospital has been attacked too. Not good.

US

In case our infamous neighbour is involved as some reports suggest and if we gather enough proof to support it then things could get critically worse for them. In any case the preparators and backers of this horrible terrorist attack must be captured and punished. May the souls of victims RIP! What a ghastly crime, channels showed lot of blood on floor, dead bodies everywhere...

In case our infamous neighbour is involved as some reports suggest and if we gather enough proof to support it then things could get critically worse for them. In any case the preparators and backers of this horrible terrorist attack must be captured and punished. May the souls of victims RIP! What a ghastly crime, channels showed lot of blood on floor, dead bodies everywhere...

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the terrorists were Pakistani in origin (although I seem to remember see reports that the terrorists were speaking in Hindi). The thing to remember is that the Pakistani government doesn't seem to have much in the way of control over the Northern areas of their country which border Afghanistan - Waziristan, etc - so trying to put the blame onto them wouldn't be helpful.

I'd imagine there will be plenty of sabre rattling as usual from either side, however.

Some reports suggest that 2 of the terrorists were British of Pakistani origin. And that the terrorists were speaking a mixture of Punjabi and Urdu. One terrorist (from Punjab in Pakistan) has been captured alive, he is being interrogated.

Some reports suggest that 2 of the terrorists were British of Pakistani origin. And that the terrorists were speaking a mixture of Punjabi and Urdu. One terrorist (from Punjab in Pakistan) has been captured alive, he is being interrogated.
I doubt that he's very comfortable right about now. I hope they can get some useful information out of him.

That is so sad. I have family there in Mumbai and friends I have known since i was a kid. I really hope they are alright.

I just dont understand what people achieve by doing all this. Is it a political statement? I dont understand people who just cant live and let live.

It really is pretty sad. Both countries should get over the past and try and try to live in peace.

Don't see that happening anytime soon though.

US

Exactly. It has nothing to do with Pakistan. It has to do with nutjob people.

It's not like 9/11 had anything to do with Saudi Arabia and the US not getting along.

This is pretty sad, but what's wierd is that nobody is coming forth with demands or rationale for the attack. If you're fighting for a cause, what's the point in terrorism if nobody knows what your cause is?

If you're fighting for a cause, what's the point in terrorism if nobody knows what your cause is?

People always want to know why. Not know why is very worrying. Not knowing who is attacking them or why is worrying to the point of being terrifying.

People always want to know why. Not know why is very worrying. Not knowing who is attacking them or why is worrying to the point of being terrifying.
Yeah, but even AQ terrorists are not so stupid as to sacrifice their lives without trying to advance a cause.

I guess terrorism without demands make sense if you're trying to scare tourists, but I can't imagine why a group of people would think this is worth sacrificing their lives for. Sure, it makes people worry more, but that still doesn't explain what drove these attackers to do it.

but that still doesn't explain what drove these attackers to do it.

They did exactly what they set out to do.

The attack sours India-Pakistan relations. Indians are aggravated by the attack. The indians turn up the rethoric, pakistanis are aggravated (or scared, same difference), - insisting the attacks weren't state sponsored. The two populations are completely polarised. Hardliners are having a field day, gaining ground and undermining the existing regimes.

In particular the Pakistani regime is likely to be shaken by this crisis. If the existing government is to be replaced by some islamo-nationalist regime it will turn pretty ugly fast considering both countries are nuclear powers.

Cheers

It has shaken the country like anything. In every city right now, there are huge protests, candle light marches coming out on the streets and public anger is at levels unprecedented in living memory. Political bloodbath is on at full swing. 3 people have already been kicked out. And political career of at least one of them is definitely over.

I think what is going on is conditioning, Pavlovian conditioning. Indian politicians have long known that high inflation and "using-emergency-powers" is a sure shot vote loser. Which is why they are always very sensitive to these situations and always take care to avoid them if they can. Right now, a seething public is threatening them with political murder if they can't stop these attacks. For too long, Indian people have taken them casually and shrugged off and our leadership has done the same.

Not any more.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with Pakistan. It has to do with nutjob people.

It's not like 9/11 had anything to do with Saudi Arabia and the US not getting along.

Crucial difference, groups like L-e-T and J-e-M who are openly anti-India and seek to destroy India and are responsible for multiple terror attacks across India, were created by Pak Army/ISI as a part of its asymmetric war against India. And lets be honest if Saudis didn't have oil US would have bombed it in response to 9-11, Saudi's active support to Wahabbi terror is well known fact.

I came home from India a few days after it happened, and the whole place just seemed dumbstruck that it'd happened. I was hundreds of miles away in Kerala, but nothing else was discussed down there before I left, it had everyone gripped and in numb shock.

Getting out of the country was a struggle, with armed police at the airports on both ends, with the UK coppers in Heathrow especially interested in where I'd been and what I'd been up to while I was there. Seems they had no real idea at that point (I came back on the Saturday) who was responsible, despite the chatter about Pakistan.

Really shitty situation for the country to be dealing with, hopefully it doesn't set them back too much.

Crucial difference, groups like L-e-T and J-e-M who are openly anti-India and seek to destroy India and are responsible for multiple terror attacks across India, were created by Pak Army/ISI as a part of its asymmetric war against India. And lets be honest if Saudis didn't have oil US would have bombed it in response to 9-11, Saudi's active support to Wahabbi terror is well known fact.

LeT and Jaish seeking to destroy India is over-playing it a bit I think. Their aim is for independence or self determination for Kashmir.

My mother in law is flying to Mumbai today and my brother, his wife and their daugther are flying in a few days. We discussed postponing their flights but in the end decided that they should go irregardless of the most recent threats over there. Cant be ruled by fear.

LeT and Jaish seeking to destroy India is over-playing it a bit I think. Their aim is for independence or self determination for Kashmir.

You underestimate those bastards, and their mom, ISI.

Back