Multi-threaded video encoders

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
Having just last night purchased a Q9550 for the purpose of reducing my DVD encode times, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a program to use which will use > 2 cores. I've been using Convert X to DVD on my C2D with great success, and while it does deliver slightly faster encode times on my C2Q @ stock vs. my o/c'd C2D it comes nowhere near using all 4 cores. I encode avi's and mp4's to VOB for burning to DVD, mostly.

I've also tried Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and TMPGENC 4.x with similar results. I came across MediaCoder but have yet to try it.

Would appreciate recommendations.

x264, xvid, or divx (they are all multithreaded now) using perhaps StaxRip or MEGUI. There are lots of front ends but Staxrip is my favorite by far.

Otherwise you could get crafty on your own with maybe the AvsP avisynth script editor and do it all manually heh.

From what I'm finding so far there just simply aren't > 2 thread MPEG2 encoders, so I'm thinking I'll just have to do 2 encode jobs at the same time to make use of the extra 2 cores :p

In all my testing so far Convert X to DVD is still the fastest and has the best codec support.

Back