Multi-threaded H.264 (mpeg4) decoder

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I use Media Player Classic to play all movies, but I have one now that is mpeg4 HD. And my AMD X2 CPU isn't able to decode the video fast enough. One core goes to 100%, while the other one is almost unused. And the video lags behind the audio, pausing every 10 seconds or such to catch up.

I tried fiddling with all kinds of settings, but I cannot get it to play at full speed. So I gather, I need a multi-threaded player and/or codec. Can anyone recommend me one? Free if possible, reasonably cheap otherwise.

Its a bitstream process and not really very parallisable. If there is one, I'd certainly like to know!

CoreAVC claims SMP-support, though it doesn't always seem to help much (if at all - reports vary widely) from the benchmarks I've seen. Their licensing policy and registration system isn't exactly user friendly either. PowerDVD 7.2 is also supposed to support SMP, I believe.

What are you using now? Recent builds of FFDSHOW tryouts are much faster than they used to be.

That seems to indicate SMP doesn't matter with performance.
It sounds like the original problem is more likely a system issue or a clunky codec.

Mine is 1920 x 1080p, 25Hz.

Everything else displays smoothly, but this one doesn't.

What graphics card do you have? If you've got a fairly recent one then you might want to try a more recent version of PowerDVD or WinDVD as they can offload some of the H.264 decode stages to the graphics, however H.264's CABAC Entropy Decode will still remain on the CPU, which is a process hog.

Back