Multi-monitor gaming

I love the surround gaming setup but - MAN! - are GTX580s loud when pushed (compared to my uber uber silent custom 6970s). Good think I usually wear headphones (and they really aren't that loud just relatively speaking).

so you got it then ?

Currently running my old Dell 2405FPW as my left monitor and 2x U2412Ms for my center and right. The U2412M is simply gorgeous for the money (it's IPS, but only 6-bit) so I'm gong to need a third :)

I've played some SS3:BFE, Deus Ex:HR (though my FOV slider is disabled for some reason?), Wings of Prey (wow!), Civ 5 and messed around with Borderlands (need to hack for FOV).

Turns out the GTX580s are quieter now that I disabled my custom fan profiles from my 6970s. Those two were so quiet with the custom coolers I put on them that I cranked the fans up high.

Speaking of which, is there any For Sale spot on B3D? I haven't decided to sell those two just yet, but I'd rather they went to a B3Der who would give them the love and abuse they so deserve and want.

have you tried 3x portrait 3600x1920 ?

ps: dues ex, fov slider ? I only have a setting called aspect ratio with 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10 and auto

Portrait isn't such a great option without IPS panels, due to the poor viewing angles on cheaper screens - especially from slightly above or below the screen when it is in landscape. This means that the side monitors are quite discoloured when you use them in a portrait position.

Also, many monitors seem to have thicker bezels on the top/bottom of the screen, which I imagine would be more jarring without bezel correction turned on, and hide relatively more of the scene with bezel correction enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
but the dells seem to have equal bezels allround, plus the U2412Ms are designed to go into portrait mode thats why I asked

have you tried 3x portrait 3600x1920 ?

ps: dues ex, fov slider ? I only have a setting called aspect ratio with 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10 and auto

I haven't tried portrait yet and I understand NV doesn't support it as well as AMD.

In Deus Ex:HR in the Gameplay menu there is an FOV setting but mine is "redded" out (can't change it).

The U2412M is and IPS panel so it should be okay in portrait and the top/bottom bezels are the same as the sides. I will give it a shot in the near future.

I don't get it...on widescreengaming and other places they say there should a slider and that it looks great between 90 and 100 FOV. :(

just tried it
set res to 1650x1080 aspect auto
set fov to 100
set res to 5292x1080
loaded savegame took screenshot without moving

set res to 1650x1080 aspect auto
set fov to 75
set res to 5292x1080
loaded savegame took screenshot without moving

I dont have a prog to compare images but they look the same to me
ps: I think the fov is ok is it not for you ?

Thanks Davros.
I just don't like the enlargement/distortion as you move away from the center.

So I fired up some Civ V on this beast and it looks and plays gorgeous...other than a lockup every 2 hours or so that requires forced closing of the app :( come to find 2k admits it doesn't play well with SLI. Shame. Supreme Commander plays well though...

Okay, I just played 6 hours of Civ V is 3x1 portrait and it was frickin' amazing!
Wow.

Back