Multi-monitor gaming

Eyefinity may not give you more IQ, but the added 'immersion' should not be underestimated. It really is good having the scene filling your peripheral vision - and being able to actually look over and see an opponent coming past you in a racing game, or half-noticing some movement out of the corner of your eye, only to find it is an opponent in an FPS game.

Multi-monitor setups may not provide you with a 'wow, this particular square-cm of the screen looks so much better than the same square-cm on this other screen', but it definitely adds something to gaming that just buying a slightly bigger/higher quality panel can't match.

You'll still be looking at the same resolution and the same dot pitch, IQ will not change and the image will not be any shaper.

And would the dot pitch of been the same on your 1440x900 as it was on your 1920x1080 monitor
a 1080 monitor would generally be 24" while a 900 monitor woud be 19" so I would say yes it would more or less, in fact assuming those were the sizes of your monitors the 24" would have only about 5% higher pixel density (according to my quick and dirty calculations) which is negligible

So what your saying perhaps without realizing it is it was the higher resolution that impressed you

Edit: found the specs for monitors those sizes and resolutions

24" = Pixel Pitch 0,272(H) x 0,272(V) mm
19" = Pixel Pitch 0,283(H) x 0,283(V) mm

looks like less than 5% to me

And would the dot pitch of been the same on your 1440x900 as it was on your 1920x1080 monitor
a 1080 monitor would generally be 24" while a 900 monitor woud be 19" so I would say yes it would more or less, in fact assuming those were the sizes of your monitors the 24" would have only about 5% higher pixel density (according to my quick and dirty calculations) which is negligible

So what your saying perhaps without realizing it is it was the higher resolution that impressed you

Edit: found the specs for monitors those sizes and resolutions

24" = Pixel Pitch 0,272(H) x 0,272(V) mm
19" = Pixel Pitch 0,283(H) x 0,283(V) mm

looks like less than 5% to me

It was 22", Not 24"

3x 1200p monitors, You're talking well over 6mp worth of pixels!

Is that extra field of view going to be worth lower average frame rates, Lower minimum frame rates, Lower graphic settings and lower IQ settings?

6970 CF is fast but it won't do every game at 5760x1200 but 27" at 2560x1440 would be amazingly sharp and crisp while allowing Mize to still run the games at pretty much max settings with some AA and AF...

Mize have a gander at this and see the performance.... Linkie

Last edited by a moderator:
Single display is not really the same thing at all (pixel density doesn't equate to field of view or the larger real estate in any way and I think Mize is well aware of the higher resolution display options). I'm really not sure why you keep pushing a single display in this thread?

Single display is not really the same thing at all (pixel density doesn't equate to field of view or the larger real estate in any way and I think Mize is well aware of the higher resolution display options). I'm really not sure why you keep pushing a single display in this thread?

Why?

No bezels between monitors
Sharper image
Requires less power so high frame rates
Cheaper
No compatibility issues to worry about
Not got to worry about driver updates breaking it
Less space required

The list is endless why is a single display is so much better...

The list is endless why is a single display is so much better...

and there's an endless list of things you can do on 3 displays that you can't do on one...

And then there's the part where YOU'RE POSTING IN A THREAD TITLED Multi-monitor gaming.

i run eyefinity with 3X17inch LCD's. 3840X1024 , to me its pretty perfect ratio wise. with 3 16:10's you have like 2000 more pixels to render for not much extra benifit.

@almighty, i would and do trade "quality" for 150+ FOV every time. also bezel is never an issue when your actually playing a game.

I'm back from a week in Cabo San Lucas - amazing time!

Suryad:
Anyway, I bought the Gigabyte 3GB GTX 580s with the three fans and dual (not triple) slot form factor. I'll install them after I give AMD a shot at multi-monitors.

Almighty: I think you are missing the point utterly. I considered the idea of a single large IPS panel ($1200 or so) but really wanted to experience the FOV effect. In real life we tune out bezels (think driving a car fast and how much you notices the pillars) but we rely strongly on peripheral vision. By increasing your FOV - physically - I'm hoping to have a higher immersion factor...and for a whole lot less than an IPS 30" display (as Albuquerque mentioned).

I would love to do multi screen gaming but my problem is I have a 30 inch HP @ 2560 x 1600. Imagine if we could have 3 of those side by side :D and imagine if we had hardware that could POWER 3 of those displays...it would be heavenly!

I'm back from a week in Cabo San Lucas - amazing time!

Suryad:
Anyway, I bought the Gigabyte 3GB GTX 580s with the three fans and dual (not triple) slot form factor. I'll install them after I give AMD a shot at multi-monitors.

Epicness! Another question and probably my last question...but those require something funky about the power supply connectors right? It needs 2 x 8 pin cables or something like that?

I would love to do multi screen gaming but my problem is I have a 30 inch HP @ 2560 x 1600. Imagine if we could have 3 of those side by side :D and imagine if we had hardware that could POWER 3 of those displays...it would be heavenly!

This is why I still wish AMD would put in support for PLP setups. With a 20" 1200x1600 (P) -> 30" 2560x1600 (L) <- 20" 1200x1600 (P) setup, I would be heaven. It'd have slightly less than doubling of pixels, yet still give you that important side FOV peripheral vision.

Although as time goes by it gets harder and harder to find good 4:3 - 20" monitors. Just like it's almost impossible to find 16:10 LED monitors. :(

Regards,
SB

Back