Multi-chip/board : ATI or NVIDIA?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Reverend, Jun 1, 2005.

?

Which Multi-Chip/Board solution do you prefer?

1. ATI's Crossfire

95.3%
  2. NVIDIA's SLI

4.7%
  1. Reverend

Banned

First of all, read up :
    NVIDIA article.
    ATI article.

Which do you prefer? Why?

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Companies&Industry forum. I thought since we're talking about "ultimate" graphics board solutions -- as opposed to which company has a bigger SLI/MVP dick -- it's better here.

2. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Understand that this is all a big "IF" where Crossfire is concerned......

IF it works without the nessasary profiles that SLI needs.....
    IF it works on everything(or at least most everything).....
    IF you can get better IQ(FSAA & AF)
    IF it's comparible performancewise......
    IF it works with different manufactures/differnt cards.......

3. Diplo

Veteran

I think we need to see ATIs solution actually available and working before deciding which is best.

Personally, though, I think the expense, hassle and extra heat/noise/power required for both solutions make them impracticle for anything but the most hardcore and dedicated of enthusiasts. If this is the future of PC gaming then no wonder most gamers decide to buy the cheaper and more user friendly consoles...

4. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Damn....I actually agree with Diplo for once.........

5. _xxx_

Banned

We should be developing smaller and quieter machines. I prefer a single card solution with enough speed over multicard with 50-80% more speed anytime.

6. Nick

Veteran

It's not SLI that needs it, it's multi-GPU in general that needs it to function optimally. So no advantage to Crossfire here.
    It took NVIDIA many months to support the most popular games. There's no magic that is going to save ATI from this.
    According to current information, this will be the case.
    If I understand it correctly the communication between both cards is limited to compositing both images. So both cards will repeat some of the work instead of sharing data. Either way, I don't expect it to reach higher efficiency, but still stay very competitive.
    Looks like it will...

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Most definately. Right now on paper ATi's Crossfire® looks better to me, but it's only on paper and we just won't know until it's out and we can see what the what is.

Also, I was reading that nVidia is already working on SLI2...so it sounds like it may not be right to compare SLI to Crossfire®, depending on the timeframe SLI2 is released in.
    (And what it is, I'm still only getting sketchy details.)

8. digitalwanderer

Legend

Actually on paper there is, but that's one of the biggies I'm waiting to see on.

9. suryad

Veteran

Sure that most people would prefer a fast single card solution but I can think of a lot of professional people who would pay thru their nose to get as much horsepower as is possible...2 or more is better than 1...at least in this case. I can see render farms using these multi gpu solutions at least. Hell I know I would want one.

As of right now though I do agree that the ATI Crossfire looks great on paper and in whatever limited performance demos that have been shown. So I still have my fingers crossed though I think I have already decided the Crossfire would be a better performer.

10. jb

jb
    Veteran

I would dis-agree. If you dont have a profile for the SLI game then it just does not run in SLI mode. And for that game you get no advantage of having the 2nd card.

Here with crossfire you get all games to to use one fall back more or another to make some advantage of having two cards.

This is asumming that it really works that when when it ships. Of course the user can always go in and change it or add a profile. But thats not the point....the point is out of the box it "should offer some" benefit with out needed a profile (where as SLI does). Now if the benefit is anything meaningfull.....

11. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

But if you have Crossfire and game does not work correctly with default rendering mode you get no advantage of having the 2nd card either - at least untill ATI implements the profile - some games will need profile to work correctly with Crossfire.

It seems that ATI and Nvidia are approaching it from different angles.

Nvidia: Multi-GPU support off by default, enabled manually only after game is tested.

ATI: On by default, add profile if there is a problem.

With SLI, (unless you are up to playing around with profile editor), you are at the mercy of Nvidia's testing and driver teams.

With Xfire, you'll still need ATi to test *at least some* games and pick the optimal rendering mode.

12. Joe DeFuria

Legend

That's my answer.

13. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Not really true.

The Super AA modes should be extremely compatibile. (Each card is just rendering the same frame, just a bit differently). So at the very least, you will be able to get a quality advantage even if the Cat AI "performance mode" (default or specific) doed not work correctly.

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

Agreed, but the "should be" part is the important bit of that statement. ;)

15. Geeforcer

Veteran

That's a fair point, although I am not 100% certain that SuperAA is inherently more "compatible" then performance modes.

16. Joe DeFuria

Legend

It most certainly is.

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

On paper it sure should be, what are your reservations?

18. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Actually, Nick, one of the advantages is that Crossfire is supposed to work without profiles.

From [H]ocp:

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Two questions -

With all the talk of ATi not requiring driver profiles etc etc, are people expecting Scissor, AFR and Supertiling modes to work in titles where Nvidia's AFR and SFR does not?

What would provide better IQ/performance - dual-GT's in 8xS or dual-XL's in 8x SuperAA ?

20. Geeforcer

Veteran

None, now that I had a second to think about it.