MS signs Okamoto and Mizuguchi to create Xbox2 games

Titanio

Legend
Perhaps there's a series of such announcements planned? This comes pretty quickly after Mistwalker. Seems like a similar deal too - contract for game(s), but the studio itself isn't tied to MGS.

More Japanese Game Luminaries Pick Next-Gen Xbox Platform

Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi to create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios

TOKYO, Japan - 2nd March, 2005 - In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games. The announcement comes on the heels of last week's news that video game legend Hironobu Sakaguchi, president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft Game Studios to develop role-playing games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox platform.

For more than 20 years, Okamoto has been thrilling gamers with franchises like "Street Fighter" and "Resident Evil". Widely considered an industry pioneer, Okamoto is best known for his ability to conceive and drive completely new game genres. In July 2003, he founded Game Republic, where he and his team have next generation Xbox exclusive titles currently in development.

"My goal in creating these games is to make completely fresh and riveting experiences that gamers have never had before," said Okamoto. "With the next-generation Xbox platform, I can turn this vision into a reality." Mizuguchi, who founded Q Entertainment in 2003, is the creative force behind a litany of innovative blockbusters including "SEGA Rally Championship," "Rez" and "Space Channel 5". Gamers worldwide have long been attracted to Mizugchi's distinctive style that blends music and action.

"By combining various factors, including exciting storylines, action, graphics and music, I've created video games that have brought gamers the ultimate fun in gaming," said Mizuguchi. "Now, I hope to create games that will give gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience possible - joy, thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games with powerful emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

The addition of Mizuguchi and Okamoto further reveals Microsoft's strategy for attracting Japanese gamers. Perhaps more importantly, it underscores a growing preference among the world's most talented game developers for the next generation Xbox platform. Last week, the company announced that Mistwalker, a studio run by the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi, will develop two exclusive titles for Microsoft.

"We are excited for Mizuguchi-san and Okamoto-san to develop next generation Xbox games unlike anything the world has ever seen," said Peter Moore, Microsoft Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing and Publishing. "Gamers will be riveted by the experiences enabled by such creators when given the proper canvas and tools."

About Xbox
Xbox (http://www.xbox.com) is the video game system from Microsoft that brings people together for the most exhilarating game and entertainment experiences. Xbox delivers an expansive collection of breakthrough games, powerful hardware and the unified Xbox Live online service. The tag line, "It's good to play together," captures the spirit of Xbox as the social hub of the new digital entertainment lifestyle. Xbox is now available in North America, Asia, Europe and Australia.

About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

For more information, press only:
Marie-Claire Suter
UK PR Manager - Xbox & PC Games
Tel: +44 (0) 118 909 4599
Email: i-maries@microsoft.com

This is good news but as they usually say, the proof is in the pudding and I look forward to what exclusives they can create on the platform. :)

MS is scattering hella lot of money to ex-(insert big Japanese company name) designers and their startups... interesting move, but it'll get more interesting when (insert big Japanese company name) themselves get on board for Xbox2-exclusive games ;)

Jaws said:
...but as they usually say, the proof is in the pudding...
Sadly they DO usually say that, even though the actual quote (and the one that makes sense) is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

As to Microsoft, it's good to see them expending real effort on Japanese developers at this point in the game, but it remains to be seen if both of them (Microsoft and those devs) have the follow-through to get to market.

I do notice, however, that Microsoft seems to be going after prominent designers in small studios, though... I do think they'll have to lock in some bigger devs to provide SOME exclusives (and even more in non-exclusives but "as well" titles) in some of their more recognizable licenses to gain a real foothold.

one said:
MS is scattering hella lot of money to ex-(insert big Japanese company name) designers and their startups... interesting move, but it'll get more interesting when (insert big Japanese company name) themselves get on board for Xbox2-exclusive games ;)
Yep, thoses first moves from MGS look targeted to the hardcore gamers crowd. An important crowd around a launch window of a console (Especially in the case of the Xbox 2 in Japan, it's like MS enters the market for the first time seeing the failure Xbox 1 was in Japan).

The next moves might be more interesting, I think. There's strong rumor about MS trying, absolutely, to get Winning Eleven at launch, and that would be an ace in their game.

cthellis42 said:
I do notice, however, that Microsoft seems to be going after prominent designers in small studios, though...

This is no surprise really...if anything, it's saying to the small studios, 'hey, it's cheaper and easier to create games on our platform, give it a shot and you still also have the PC market'...etc, etc, etc...

Jaws said:
This is no surprise really...if anything, it's saying to the small studios, 'hey, it's cheaper and easier to create games on our platform, give it a shot and you still also have the PC market'...etc, etc, etc...
Well, since the "PC market" isn't very worthwhile in Japan, that's not precisely a bargaining chip. ;) I'm sure they can pull good deals in general for exclusivity, though.

But regardless, the names most japanese consumers are going to follow are by recognizable developers and licenses, so I think they need to exert effort in scoring at least ONE major coup there to really have a shot. As is the case here, I'm sure most gamers won't recognize prominent developers or their new studios... the names they inherently look for have been pre-established, and as is ALSO the case here, new studios--even led by prominent developers--can be easily glossed over. They don't want to rest solely on their Tecmo connection while hoping these other games will strike it big.

I think they should press for something NIIIICE and juicy from Konami to attract attention. (Unless they can buy off a big, already-established licence. But I'm not sure that's going to happen.)

Going to talented devs is a nice move for MS. Of course, they will need more than that, but it is a proof they care about quality.

Good move indeed; but not good enough for MS to put a dent on Japanesse market. XBOX was really geared for FPS, action games, etc. and will take a long time to be percieved as a really good RPG console. As mentioned, they really need SQUARE and others to compete with Sony.

one said:
Okamoto's diary and Mizuguchi's blog.
MS are certainly going about XB2 with a good strategy in voicing publicly a more diverse genre span for the system. I've got to ask though, how 'big' are these two characters? Okamoto's website has a biography that identifies him as an artist and general designer without any cutting edge creations to himself, and Mizuguchi's site is all foreign!

Do these names really mean anything to anyone? Are they the Molyneuxs of the Japanese industry?

Shifty Geezer said:
Do these names really mean anything to anyone? Are they the Molyneuxs of the Japanese industry?
They are younger than Molyneux! :p
"The man behind Final Fight, Street Fighter and Resident Evil" and "the man behind SEGA Rally, Space Channel 5 and Rez" are better to be recognised. They were both producers at their respective places (Capcom and SEGA).

How does this make them top people to have on board? What did they contribute? eg. Spielberg directs good films, so if he's given a decent script and actors you'd expect him to do a good job. Molyneux is an ideas man so you'd guess whatever he creates to have novel features.

What background do these two have to substantiate a belief that they'll come up with something 'different'? Just being curious really :D

They've both had grest titles under their belt. They may not be the household Japanese names like Yu Suzuki, Yuji Naka, or Shigeru Miyamoto (spo?); but they do have a lot of credence to their names.

Molyneux isn't anyone to write home about considering his latest games. His concepts may be interesting but he is no Spielberg in the fac that the games behind the concept don't turn out to be masterpieces but more of a letdown from the hype.

This is great news for Microsoft. This shows me they wre willing to take on new dev teams that are still small and starting out. The main thing is is that they are giving these studios a chance to show what they can do and that isn't going to hurt us at all as gamers. They might not be able to actually get any major support form the big Japanese studios, but if these smaller ones put out good titles then it could prove worthwhile.

I think some people are reading into the news what is not necessarily there. Microsoft is announcing games made by Japanese companies and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It only makes sense that, for this class of project, MS would go after the smaller companies.

Exclusive games from companies like Konami, Capcom or Square-Enix will have to wait till later, just like exclusive games from Epic have to wait. I'm not saying such big name Japanese exclusives exist, but if they do, they probably won't be announced immediately. Such heavyweights would be kept for the unveiling of the platform.

I like this move, though I fear MGS Japan next-gen will be MGS America this gen. Anyone else see the parallel between these guys and Double Fine? Oddworld Inhabitants? MS had better not promise such support and then dump it later. Not again.

This is good news and i'm sure its building up to launch info being released in a few months .

Hopefully with a bunch of small japanese devs they will have better luck in japan this coming gen .

HOpefully these companys will also make something that the western markets would like too . That way ms can get some extra bang for thier buck .

As for big exclusives i would wait till after e3 or during e3 for that

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's games tend to engage the player through their sense of rhythm by tying the action, sound, visuals, and force feedback all to a core tempo.

All signs point to more japanese developers being interested in xbox 2. I said it before, and I'll say it again, MS couldn't do any worse with Xbox 2 than they already did in japan with Xbox 1.

Back