MS, Apple, Sony et al suing Google with Nortel patents *spawn

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
The patents war has just began!!

Apple, Microsoft and Sony -along with RIM and Ericsson- have gone nuclear to stop Google and the Android, after winning a bid to buy former Nortel, a Canadian company, patents. (more than 6000 patents in total)

Apple, Microsoft and Sony bid a staggering amount of 4.5 billion dollars to win the bid, and are launching a major attack.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...r-microsoft-apple-owned-rockstar-sues-google/

(not sure if this goes here, but it is interesting nonetheless)

Why didn't Nortel sue Google with its patents?
Because the patents were theirs then and they went bankrupt but the patents weren't sold until recently -most of them to Wi-Fi innovations using 4G-, which is when Google came into play and then Microsoft, Apple, Sony, Ericsson, and RIM, joined forces together under the name Rockstar Bidco to surpass Google's bid and buy those patents, which would make Android too powerful, perhaps?

Google's lawyer David Drummon accused Apple and Microsoft of hostility towards Google. :yes:

It's odd in the case of Apple 'cos Steve Wozniak said fairly recently he was praying for a possible Google-Apple collaboration in the future. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Because the patents were theirs then and they went bankrupt but the patents weren't sold until recently...
Why didn't Nortel sue Google for billions and not go bankrupt? What's the point of having patents and not using them?

Why didn't Nortel sue Google for billions and not go bankrupt? What's the point of having patents and not using them?
I don't know Shifty, to be honest. Nortel was bankrupt and perhaps the Canadian government decided to put the company up for auction.

Google then tried to buy their most valuable asset, which is their patents and their competitors saw the move and decided to join forces to stop Google's domination.

Am I missing anything?

I don't know Shifty, to be honest. Nortel was bankrupt and perhaps the Canadian government decided to put the company up for auction.

Am I missing anything?
Nortel went bankrupt in 2009. Unless Google didn't infringe any patents until after then, Nortel should have been suing Google in 2008, 2007, 2006 etc. :???:

I have to say, the whole thing is the sort of evil patent lawyer crap that disgusts me. Rockstar Consortium is a Delaware Limited Partnership based in Texas. It was founded there just so it could use the Texas legal system to fight with; it's not a real company. It even had a hidden name to disguise its purpose. And Texas seems to have made a business out of feeding patent trolls.

See, now I'm getting angry. :devilish: I'm gonna walk away from this discussion and look at pictures of ponies and kittens to calm down...

Nortel do not have enough money to sue Google. The latter could just drag on and it would bleed them dry.

Google was invited to be part of Rockstar by MS, but they rejected. Google went ahead to acquire Motorola and sued Apple and MS using the acquired SEP patents instead. This is them getting back at Google.

well 4g lte didn't really come onto the scene till 2011 .

I wonder if rockstar will buy rim for its patents

I don't particularly like Google for the way they just copied Apple. I don't like Apple particularly much either. I am also not fond of Microsoft particularly. I would say that all parties to this are guilty. I don't see how any one of these parties is not 'evil' personally.

I don't particularly like Google for the way they just copied Apple
WRT IOS/android. Like what exactly?
Theres a few things, but I see more that apple have 'borrowed' from google

Back