MS and the HDD era (IMO)

pc999

Veteran
It is a long post, but it is made of arguments and ( at least I tryed ) not biased. It is only my opinion do want you want (dont be to severe with me)

Thanks.

PS/BTW this is not the best title for the topic but...

It has been already discussed the possibility of MS as been looking for a new kind of costumer, but I think they want a new market model, one here the HDD will play a very important play.

I think that the Live Silver and their Live MarketPlace will gave them the proffit that they want (I´m not saing that in a traditional market model they will not be proffitiable also, but they want more it new ways too).

And this will be in the form of downloable content (DC), and user created content (not free).

And they are preperad for that.
If we see they had talked about that everytime but in a subtle way (to people get used, that why people did not liked in GDC but know they like their ideas, like me; and like they said somehere that people dont like of fast moves so DC first has been free and second it has been paid, sorry no link), they included a HDD removable and upgradeable (once filid up you can buy another) this is equal to unlimited DC. And another major thinghs is that DC for them should be pretty easy they do have one of the best system in the world (they suport almost every PC in the world with constant updates, and a lot more of others things at once at a great speed and "by free"), so this sould be no problem for they. Even one more thing is that you dont need anymore credit cards and probably you will be able to download from your PC.

But the most strong argument is: think in PDZ (for example) it will come with 6 MP levels, if is nice there is any gamer that would not buy 2 new maps for 1 $ :?: I think the answer is no, I am certain.So lets say that they sell 500.000 packs of maps (what for a game like that should be prety easy to sell in that ) so they 500.000 $:oops: for 2 maps :oops:, and that dont cost 500.000$. They would do a lot of proffit in2 maps, or in a better example think that they remake Goldeye/PD MP levels a pack of 2 at 1$ almost every gamer who had liked those games would buy this, this is certain proffit.
Now do this for every game, 1$ is not/dont look much to pay

These are the reasons why I think this is their new market models and it will be very good (for them at least), I think they want this thing from first gen but this cant be introduced in one gen, but in this one they are ready for that (think in Amazon who lost even more billions at first, but now is a big proffit company).

In the other hand we will be able to get (like in old times) big and variated games, but at what price certainly is easier 8 in every way to speend 1$ per week/mouth... than 20-30$ in a expancion pack (wich need to be puted in a DVD and go around the world and do have more people who want proffit also) , but in the end wich will be the price of the "full game" :?:

I think the best part is the market place.

I can make a multiplayer lvl which costs rare and ms 0$ to make. I can then charge 1 dollar for the lvl and ms gets a % of that . Now it may not sound like that but even with only 5m online gamers (And it should be more as there is the free live now ) with that base many many people will be making and selling maps , new skins , jerseys or whatever

BTW I HOPE THAT "WE" CAN MAKE A FREE DC COMUNITY ALSO

But meybe I am too optimist in humanity today :cry: :LOL: .

I'm sure people on the pc will set up shop where u can download the stuff and then send it to your xbox drive

It will be a while before there is consumer demand for user made maps available for a price. I don't see gamers willing to spend money for them unless they have a great reputation in the community. Maybe 2 years after the system launch and the online user base has gotten large enough, there could be enough demand.

Now RARE can make good money with new maps for sure. Thats the way it should be since capitalism works, RARE makes a profit for there work, and gamers get high quality value out of their game. I won't mind paying a $1.00 a map. Anyway it's not about the quantity of maps but the quality.

Yes you are right.
In my text I was only thinking about professional content.
But for user made content I think that way too.

Back