MS and DirectTV Team Up

DIRECTV will adopt Microsoft Windows Media platform technologies to enable connectivity to and from DIRECTV set-top boxes, Windows-based PCs, PlaysForSure-compatible devices and the Xbox 360 system. The connectivity will provide the ability to do the following:
  • Transfer DIRECTV content to be enjoyed on a Windows-based PC or directly via a USB port connected to a PlaysForSure-compatible device
  • Access the music, video and pictures stored on a Windows-based PC using a DIRECTV set-top box
  • Extend the DIRECTV experience to the Xbox 360 system
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10013/DIRECTV-and-Microsoft-Team-Up/

Sounds pretty good, not as gret as I originally though though, it's only works WITH an existing HD reciever.

wierd how they are allowing DirectTV to stream video from a PC box, basically a free extender for windows I guess. It should drive teh overall concept of using your PC as a media jukebox.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10013/DIRECTV-and-Microsoft-Team-Up/

Sounds pretty good, not as gret as I originally though though, it's only works WITH an existing HD reciever.

wierd how they are allowing DirectTV to stream video from a PC box, basically a free extender for windows I guess. It should drive teh overall concept of using your PC as a media jukebox.

I believe DirecTV has a relationship with XM radio, i wonder if this includes that content as well.

expletive said:
I believe DirecTV has a relationship with XM radio, i wonder if this includes that content as well.

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's just functioning as an extender afterall.

But what I'm wondering is can the 360 'extend' off of this setup directly, or is the media center PC still needed in the mix?

xbdestroya said:

But what I'm wondering is can the 360 'extend' off of this setup directly, or is the media center PC still needed in the mix?

It sounds like you basically connect your DirecTV receiver to your media center PC and the content goes there via the MCE interface. At that point they are allowing their content to be streamed to 360s, DTV STBs, as extenders.

Additionally, you can connect PFS audio/video devices directly to the DTV STB for direct downlaod of cnotent, without having an MCE PC in the hain at all (?).

Also, you can use other DirecTV STBS in your house as extenders to an MCE pc, even if you dont have the PC connected to a DircTV STB.

Adds someinteresting features the most notable imo being:

1. PFS devices getting audio/video directly from a DirecTV STB without the need for a PC at all.
2. Being able to use DTV STBs and 360s to deliver DTV content to additional displays around the house.
3. BEing able to use a 360 to extend DTV to another set if your first one is connected to an MCE pc.

pretty neat

xbdestroya said:

I think you would need the MCE pc in every config except attaching the PFS device directly to the DTV STB.

Back