MR-"I think Unreal Engine 3 and Nintendo Revolution would be very well suited to each

pc999

Veteran
Great read

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61668

Lots of clarafications too

"We don't know right now what the machine's capable of or not capable of, and we've built Unreal Engine 3 to a certain specification. If the machine can run the engine, it'd be fantastic to have it on there."

"The next-generation engine envisions a time when instead of two processors, we'll have 30 or 40. So that requires a completely new approach, and if we don't invest in research towards that now, then when those things come about we won't be ready."
:oops:

"What I meant to say was the most significant improvement we get, the best new thing about the next-generation systems, in my opinion, is the graphics. And that's a hardware discusssion - not a game discussion."

I think he is talking about CELL like design. 40 small SPE like cores in 5 years could be easily a reality.

7 years ago, our computer architecture profesor was talking about 1 billion transistor processors (which is basically an idea similar to CELL). After 7 years, it has become commecially viable. Now, give it another 5 years, here is your 1 billion transistor chip :)

I think he was making a hypothetical example rather than talking about some specific mythical chip made by one certain console manufacturer.

Ugh, graphics are only a small part of the equation, though granted gamers expect them to improve.

If graphics were everything, why has PS2 doubled the COMBINED total of Xbox and Gamecube sales?

Yes, graphics need to go up, but um... GAMES, not graphics, determine everything.

Serenity Painted Death said:
Ugh, graphics are only a small part of the equation, though granted gamers expect them to improve.

If graphics were everything, why has PS2 doubled the COMBINED total of Xbox and Gamecube sales?

Yes, graphics need to go up, but um... GAMES, not graphics, determine everything.

Because it was released 4 years before either of those.

Serenity Painted Death said:

This man speaks truth.

Bill said:
Mark Rein is brilliant.

He's the only gamer out there telling the truth-it's about graphics.
i'll take this as ironic... : ).
i don't really see what other word you can put after "mark rein" than "is a marketing guy".this covers every topic he's concerned about.

Wow, really wierd that he doesn't have any clue as to what Rev will be like, or if it can even run UE3. Does this mean a good 2 years before we may even seen a UE3 based game on Rev?

Anyhow, sounds like he's just saying they'd like to sell their product on as many systems as possible, not that Rev's controller really suits UE3 or something.

Does this mean a good 2 years before we may even seen a UE3 based game on Rev?

Because most ports take 2 years to make?...

Anyhow, sounds like he's just saying they'd like to sell their product on as many systems as possible, not that Rev's controller really suits UE3 or something.

Read the article:

Mark Rein said
"I think Unreal Engine 3 and Nintendo Revolution would be very well suited to each other.

Teasy said:
Read the article:

Mark Rein said
"I think Unreal Engine 3 and Nintendo Revolution would be very well suited to each other.

IIRC, there was a big IF in there, Teasy...MR doesn't even have a dev kit to evaluate the capability of the unit. MR said that UE3 was designed with a certain level of base performance in mind, and IF the Revolution met that requirement...THEN....

You've misunderstood me Joe, I was talking about the controller's suitability not the systems suitability (read the quote I was responding too).

Though on the topic of graphics, what is the base specification for Unreal Engine 3 (does anyone know?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
I don't see what that's got to do with my post. Ah I think you've misunderstood me, I was talking about the controller's suitability not the systems suitability (read the quote I was responding too).

OK...but seriously, I don't think MR has ever tried the controller, and he's just trying to back pedal a bit after sounding so harsh. ;)

Or maybe he's read up on the controller a little bit and actually thought about it since his rather silly outburst ;) That's all it takes to realise how good the controller can be for FPS games. In fact I don't think Mark Rein ever said anything about Rev's controller not being good for first person shooters so why should we put his comments down as sycophancy?

Teasy said:
Or maybe he's read up a little bit and actually thought about it since his rather silly outburst ;) Is it really so hard for you to believe that someone might possibly think that a controller such as Revolutions would be good for FPS's?

No, but thinking about it, and trying it are two different things. Agree? I have no idea if it would be good or not...and neither does MR likely. So again, it sounds like he's just trying to balance out his last statements and keep neutral...not that he has any more real insight.

But if you don't have any idea if it would be good or not then you only need to read one of the many articles from people who have tried the controller. No doubt Mark was directed to some of those kind of articles many times by angry Nintendo fans recently :D

Although again I don't see a single comment from Mark Rein where he ever claimed that Revolutions controller wouldn't be good for first person shooters. So I don't see why we should put that particular comment down as anything but geniune.

Teasy said:
Because most ports take 2 years to make?...

Read the article:

If Rev's hardware is significantly different from the others, especially if less powerful, it may not be easy to port UE3. Plus, there's no guarantee Rev would get a port and not a new game, quite a few games on GameCube used the Unreal or Quake engines, but niether series actually appeared on the system yet both appeared on PS2 and Xbox.

And if Mark Rein said the same comment about Xbox 360, what would he be assumed to be talking about, the controller or the hardware? I'm sure if the Rev's hardware is capable, Epic would love to sell UE based games on the platform.

Back