Mozilla Messaging

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by mkillio, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mkillio

Regular

I've been using Trillian lately instead of AIM, which brought up the idea of. Is there any chance of Mozilla making an instant messaging service? ANd if they did, what options and features would you want for it?

2. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Why would we need yet another messenger network? It would just be annoying. (And of course, Ars reported just the other day of such a thing I might add, though it wasn't Mozilla.)

3. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

netscape used to have intigrated AIM messaging. i found it basicly worthless, because when you closed the browser it logged you off aim. nowadays i use gaim. it's clean and small, and i like the little *nixisms in the interface.
    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

4. mkillio

Regular

I didn't mean another network, just a option other then AIM but connected to AIM as wells as MSN, ICQ etc. Plus it would be free and match Firefox and Thunderbird. I like congruency in my programs.

5. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Trillian on Windows, Fire on OS X, can't recall what on Linux here. 8)

6. anaqer

Veteran

I don't know how much it would match FF & TB, but I highly recommend miranda. Works for me. :wink:

7. Ichneumon

Regular

I agree with the Miranda recommendation. I've been using Miranda since it was in its infancy and have always liked it.

If the Mozilla group were to build an IM program, it couldn't be much better than Miranda.

8. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

i used to use miranda, and stopped because it wouldn't allow me to see people's away message without messaging them. a small pet peive, but one that's important to me. i really like gaim, but it lacks webcam support (as far as i can tell), and i have friends who only use official clients because they are web cam fiends.