Mozilla Foundation Unleashes Firefox 1.0.5 Final

The Mozilla Foundation Tuesday updated its Firefox stand-alone browser to version 1.0.5, fixing several vulnerabilities that have popped up since the last minor upgrade two months ago.

Firefox 1.0.5, which has been in testing for several weeks, can be downloaded from the Mozilla Web site free of charge.

"This is a collection of security bug fixes and stability improvements," said Chris Hofmann, Mozilla's director of engineering. "We're also trying to anticipate some potential security problems with this update by patching vulnerabilities that alone aren't that significant, but might be used together to create an exploit. Most of them involve quite a bit of user interaction."

Overall, added Hofmann, the update is an attempt to "stay ahead of the bad guys." One flaw from June appeared to have been passed by. A month ago, Danish security firm Secunia announced that most browsers, including the then-current Firefox 1.0.4, were vulnerable to a JavaScript spoofing error that could let attackers steal passwords and other confidential data. Although a Mozilla spokesperson said that 1.0.5 fixed the problem, TechWeb ran the browser through Secunia's vulnerability test and found that it still failed.

However, this edition does fix the frame injection vulnerability that had crept back into the Firefox code in versions 1.0.3 and 1.0.4.

Download:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.0.5&os=win&lang=en-US

When will they implement an auto-update feature so one doesn't have to download and un/reinstall the whole package each time they fix something? I won't bother with looking at FF again until they do.

Besides, have they fixed their flash support so it doesn't eat CPU like a mad person and to such a degree it causes the browser to become unresponsive?

Don't know if this will help you sort out your flash problem

Macromedia Flash Player for Windows(IE & FF) Beta8

Macromedia Flash Player lets you view the best animation and entertainment on the Web. It displays Web application front-ends, high-impact Web site user interfaces, interactive online advertising, and short-form to long-form animation. Since it is free of the design restrictions of more traditional Web display options, you can use it to clearly and exactly express your brand and company identity.

Download: Macromedia Flash Player for Windows (Mozilla & Opera) 8 Beta
Download: Macromedia Flash Player for Windows (IE & AOL) 8 Beta

thnx...DLing.....
i am surprised i dint get notice in my FF about it.... i got notice for last 2 upgrades...

Guden Oden said:
When will they implement an auto-update feature so one doesn't have to download and un/reinstall the whole package each time they fix something? I won't bother with looking at FF again until they do.

Besides, have they fixed their flash support so it doesn't eat CPU like a mad person and to such a degree it causes the browser to become unresponsive?

Part one of your post is laughable, especially since it's less than 5MB. That's something even the dialup crowd can stomach.

Part two definitely needs some attention though :devilish:

I was in the middle of paying for something on eBay last night when I loaded up some flash movie that someone on IRC linked me to. Cue 100% CPU usage, hung browser and me not sure if the payment had gone through or not. Taskman to kill was my only option. I'm about this close to uninstalling the Flash plug-in right now.

What I want from Firefox is every options and features Maxthon has.
That or the Maxthon developer start working on a version for the Gekko core. That would be perfect.
silence said:
thnx...DLing.....
i am surprised i dint get notice in my FF about it.... i got notice for last 2 upgrades...
It's still an english and Win/Mac/Linux users only release.
Guden Oden said:
Talk about laziness. :LOL:

It's not being lazy and it's not a matter of file size; five megs or five hundred don't matter to me. I'm on broadband.

It's that I have to go to their damn website, click through the links to get the file download, then fiddle in the control panel and open the add/remove programs applet and find the right entry there, uninstall, then reinstall again. Lots of unneccessary clicks that adds up the more versions they release. Like this version will be the only one they ever make from now on? The next one might come in a few weeks or the next month, and then I have to go through that whole procedure again.

It was the same reason I gave up on updating video driver each time ATi released a new catalyst. It's too fuckin much of a bother to go through that shit every month. Either they should make it transparent or don't bother at all!

Azureus updates itself automatically. Make FF do the same, it could even use bittorrent tech to lower bandwidth costs.

I just reinstall the new FF over the old one. I've had no problems with that since v1.0 on a couple of machines here - no need to reinstall or uninstall anything. Even broken extensions now get automatically disabled.

The flash plugin is a Macromedia problem.

As BZB said, you don't have to uninstall anything, just install the new version over the old one.

There is a nice extension that allows you to launch or not each flash movie. In every flash windows you get a button so you decide if you want or not to see that flash. It makes things way easier for the browser and cpu. It s called Flashblock.

Guden Oden said:
It's that I have to go to their damn website, click through the links to get the file download, then fiddle in the control panel and open the add/remove programs applet and find the right entry there, uninstall, then reinstall again. Lots of unneccessary clicks that adds up the more versions they release.

Just wait until you get the notify in the upper right corner, and click that. Everything else goes automatically.

Guden Oden said:

The auto update feature should be in FF 1.1 codename deer park.

Tim said:
Guden Oden said:

The auto update feature should be in FF 1.1 codename deer park.

saw it on torrents...its in alpha.....i might try it ;)

Guden Oden said:
When will they implement an auto-update feature so one doesn't have to download and un/reinstall the whole package each time they fix something?
Uninstall? I just click the red "update" icon (and a couple of "OK" buttons) to download and install.

Back