Mozilla Firefox 13.0

the changelog, I almost had to google it but there was a link made of very small text in light orange over slightly darker oragne background.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/

you can see there are a few significant new things :
"When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most visited pages"
<- I'll have to disable it
"SPDY protocol now enabled by default for faster browsing on supported sites"
<- maybe that's a good thing
"Restored background tabs are not loaded by default for faster startup"
<- that can be an interesting feature, after crashing because you've used up all memory (happens on my system with 2GB ram and 1GB swap) you don't reload all those heavy tabs before visiting them.

Smooth scrolling is now on by default. I don't like smooth scrolling.

yes it only brings a small additional latency.

regarding the fact firefox now doesn't reload tabs anymore at start up, but keeps them around nonetheless : this has cut my memory consommation by a huge amount, and even my CPU graph is flat!

yes it only brings a small additional latency.

regarding the fact firefox now doesn't reload tabs anymore at start up, but keeps them around nonetheless : this has cut my memory consommation by a huge amount, and even my CPU graph is flat!

Yes. And stupid as it sounds, thank god for them finally using that new tab space for one of my favorite features like most other webbrowsers have done for over a year. ;)

That alone puts the browser back on the map after having been off for quite a while now.

There is Firefox 13 already ? I am still using Firefox 1.5.

I tried Chrome, but I don't like having the close button on every tabs. You can close tab you want to read by accident, that happen more often than I like when having like 50 tabs open, I can do that with FF1.5 no problem. Looking at screens FF13, it looks like they moved the closed button to its own tab. Can you change that ?

Beside that I find FF1.5 to be very stable more stable than Chrome. Chrome crash quite often for my liking. I think on average FF1.5 crashes once every two months and chrome crashes once a week. How stable is FF13 ?

You can tweak Firefox to get a old style close button. Just google it.

There is Firefox 13 already ? I am still using Firefox 1.5.

Compared to Firefox 1.5, #13 is about 2.5 relatively speaking. They decided every minor patch or upgrade with some new minor feature deserved a whole new version number.

I stopped caring when I realised new versions were actually incrementally better each time, using less CPU and memory for a given task. even the UI is still largely the same since 1.0 as you can drag and drop everything into the layout you were used to.

I missed 1.5 though, it was great and I skipped 2.0 back then but I'm fine. the bigger problem is with web pages growing ever bigger and slower, or that I don't have games anymore so I'm wasting too much time on web pages and have too many of them open.

Chrome is a lot better in some ways, but it uses too much memory and it has a ghetto UI. I like my menus and buttons. one click for opening the download list, one click to zoom, one click to open a new window. I like those old fashioned things :)

I'm keeping both firefox and chrome in my system. I mostly use chrome but i'm getting a bit sick of it now. I think i'm gonna update to the latest version and start using it :D

Back