Moving cross country (LA to NH), shipping my computer...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zsouthboy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. zsouthboy

Regular

Is it a good idea to take my hard drive out and just carry it with me (I'm flying up), instead of leaving it in the case? I'm a little worried about the the shipping companie playing frisbee with my CPU...

While I'm at it, any suggestions, or things I might have forgotten?

2. speng

Regular

Take the insurance that the shipping company offers.

Do not allow them to leave until you check everything for broken parts/equipment. If you can power up your PC before they leave it'd be good.

I shipped my PC with the hard-drive still in. They wrapped everything, plus I doubt they would throw it. Especially if you put "fragile" on it.

Speng.

3. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Take it to the UPS Store and get it packed. Did that with two monitors when I moved--they were completely undamaged at the other end.

4. zsouthboy

Regular

Ah yes, almost forgot about insurance.

I'm shipping it Airborne Express, btw... I don't trust UPS for really big things like monitors...

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Take out any heavy cards or CPU coolers. The heavier coolers don't recommend you move the PC with them attached - especially as if they come off due to shock impact, they ususally take the socket and all the cards underneath them out as well.

6. zsouthboy

Regular

All thats on there currently is a Volcano 6+cu, but I will take that off before shipping. Good tip!

7. Lezmaka

Regular

Yeah, take the heatsink off before shipping. My friend just sent me a case/athlon 2100+/1gig pc2700 with the heatsink (volcano 7 i believe) installed and when it got here, it had broken off the tabs on the cpu socket. Then as it was bouncing all around the case during shipping, it messed up the mobo.

8. PC-Engine

Banned

HDDs can withstand several hundred Gs when the heads are parked.