Movie Reviews 2.0

Prey (2022) is a legit solid good film. It’s better than it has any right to be too. It’s not a brain dead popcorn flick. The Predator could have been anything else serving as the main confrontation for the protagonist and it would have worked.

Talking about brain deads, I remembered I haven't finished Star Trek Beyond. And remembered why, after starting over.

But can you tell which one is Krall from STB and which one is krill from Orville?

Krill-0.png
tumblr_inline_oaqfe8Bt4O1t0ijhl_1280.jpg

Prey: 10/10
I feel like I watch watching a Nolan Batman film. It’s not about super hero powers; it was just about the story. Cinematography was excellent, musical score excellent, dialog very reasonable, characters were all reasonable. No stupidity.

Last edited:
best Predator movie for a while.
True but not exactly a high bar though.
Not really anything memorable about it either imo.
The final trap was kinda obvious & the Predator of course left her alone for several hours while she set it up, then helpfully walked right into it and was a perfect fucking moron with his laser-homing arrows :unsure:
I don't really buy that it didn't take the opportunity to kill her several times when she had been fighting it already.

One of the reasons I heard they killed off Batgirl despite it being complete (and being planed as direct to stream title) is "for tax purposes". The write offs they can claim for it when cancelled was probably more than what they calculated it releasing would bring in.

It's all about the profit so the people, the projects, and the art be damned.
When AT&T took over they spent a lot on Max originals, some of which have been very Good like Hacks and Peacemaker.

But apparently they lost a lot of money, over a Billion from streaming in the last quarter.

I dread what they’re going to do, speculation is a Discovery Plus app with an HBO hub and higher prices for less scripted content. This is expected to happen by summer 2023.

i just rewatched the last part of Ace Combat The Movie Top Gun Maverik, really good showcase for surround sound!

and a good test case to find that the "bottle" collection my brother put in a cupboard rattles....

Watched event horizon.

This movie is so weird, got weird camera angles and cuts, and felt as if some visual fx was missing.

The audio jump scares are also unbearably loud.

The explanations in the movie make things even more baffling.

But overall it Wan still a fun watch. Felt like a budget ALIEN movie, that's funnier

The audio jump scares are also unbearably loud.
It was like physical whumps on the chest in the theatre I saw it in back in the day.
Scared the crap out of me in significant part because of that physical aspect to watching it.
Have you seen Arrival? That's another well done similar movie.
It had nice visuals but the plot was fucking retarded which ruined it for me.

and then have Interstellar as a follow-up
Then for the C grade mash up of most of the preceding movies plot bits, made by people who are nowhere near as clever as they think they are: Ad Astra but only if you really have nothing better to do with the time :cautious:

what wrong with it?
i can only barely remember the plot tho
I haven't bothered to rewatch it so maybe somewhat mis-remembering:
The aliens came to earth so that they could help science-lady start learning their language which magically lets people think non-linearly so that she could see the future and learn from herself the key to learning their language so they could help her deal with the loss of the child she has later with science-man & which she was sad about at the start of the movie
or something fucking retarded like that 🤪

It's not cool to suggest being retarded is wrong.

I forgot that the US is retarded about use of the word retarded like its retarded about stuff like measurement units & how actual democracy works 🤔
In my country we have the legal terms Mentally impaired and Intellectually disabled, I make no judgement about people with actual issues but I will not accept a plot that
claims to treat scientists as awesome but then portrays them as fucking morons & which hinges around nonsense timetravel-through-language bullshit.

I haven't bothered to rewatch it so maybe somewhat mis-remembering:
Okay, so there is significant chance your opinion is actually what is retarded here then...

Anyone not seen Arrival: don't read anything more about it, get into a non-agitated but conscious state of mind, and watch it once through. It is possible you don't like it but I'll cancel my membership to mankind if most people here find the story retarded.

Back