Movie Reviews 2.0

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
After the sudden and unexplained disappearance of my movie reviews thread, I thought it only appropriate to make a new one until the old one resurfaces or to completely replace it. Same rules as before, what was the last movie you saw and how would you rate it?

Insomnia- 9.8/10

One of my all time favorites. This is, in my opinion, the last cop movie Pacino made before he became type casted and every role of his seemed to be a mockery of it's predecessor. Williams' performance sends shivers down my back. He plays a really good creep. The setting is dreary "Alaska" and really adds to the mood.

Bee Movie. The title says it all, even if the production values (and I saw it on a HD movie channel) sometimes seem to suggest otherwise. It's almost as if the cast of friends tone down their humor for a younger audience but lose all the humor in the process, much like the bees win their case in court but then the world collapses as a result. Plotwise as derivative as the worst of the spoof movies out there, but since it lacks comedy even more than all of those, it's a disaster.

What a train-wreck! I give it a

Bee Movie - 5.5/10

, only because I still managed to watch it to the end despite of itself.

Mr Woodcock. 6/10. I like Billy Bob Thornton's delivery and the dry humor so it was enjoyable. The last 1/3rd isn't as good as the beginning and middle.

Frost/Nixon. 8/10. Really well done. Could have spent a bit more time on the actual interview stuff.

Doubt 8.5/10 - some might find it slow, but I enjoy character driven films. interesting moral dilemna.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey 5/10 - This really didn't go into as much depth as I'd have liked, and didn't give much insight into the culture or make it a real cultural study. The guy who made it is an anthropologist, so I expected more.

Religulous 5/10 - Even being an atheist, I didn't enjoy this one much. Bill Maher really didn't make this much of a discussion. He talks to some really ignorant people, which can be very amusing at times, but you don't get a very insightful product. What you get is heavy-handed preaching to the converted, and I don't think the converted will find it that interesting. There are some very funny moments.

Religulous 5/10 - Even being an atheist, I didn't enjoy this one much. Bill Maher really didn't make this much of a discussion. He talks to some really ignorant people, which can be very amusing at times, but you don't get a very insightful product. What you get is heavy-handed preaching to the converted, and I don't think the converted will find it that interesting. There are some very funny moments.

That's pretty much my take on it too. And Maher at times was quite the dick toward people who'd agree to go on film for him.

And Maher at times was quite the dick toward people who'd agree to go on film for him.

Yeah ... he can be a dick but I don't really believe you have to tip toe around people either. You shouldn't have to be polite when discussing serious matters. Being a dick is another thing though.

The Matrix -10/10. Gave my life a new sense of direction.

I kid you not.

Seriously.

Why? Did you suddenly think "If Keanu Reeves can get paid millions with his acting ability then I'm gonna be an actor too!"?

Finally saw The Prestige. Thought it was very good.

Spawn. The only comic-gone-big-screen which wasn't softened/dumbed down for housewives and kids. While it did feature kids and puppies, it did so just breifly for the story as in the comic and stayed true to the original. I wish to see a sequel.

Nothing better than big badass Demons and chains and blades in masses :devilish:

9.5/10, only because the CGI wasn't perfect.

Blade Runner Directors Cut - needs no comment :) - 9.9/10

Naked Lunch - pure joy, a masterwork: 10/10.

Saló - after DeSade's book "120 days of Sodom", very sick but a must-see. In case it's not forbidden in your country, that is :) No points here, kinda impossible.

Two Moon Junction - the only love flick I ever liked and Sherilyn Fenn as a blonde is just... wow. 8/10

Top Gun - still a great movie after all these years. 8.5/10, which translates to 9.5/10 back then.

Aliens - needs no comment, 10/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Mamma Mia 12/10

I have seen it twice on DVD, both times when drunk, and thought it fantastic. Probably get an 8/10 when sober due to Piece Brosnan's singing abilities.

Mamma Mia 12/10

I have seen it twice on DVD, both times when drunk, and thought it fantastic. Probably get an 8/10 when sober due to Piece Brosnan's singing abilities.
Yes, good thing Bond never had to sing :) The Flipper dance, OTOH, was pure genius :D

Yeah ... he can be a dick but I don't really believe you have to tip toe around people either. You shouldn't have to be polite when discussing serious matters. Being a dick is another thing though.
You should always be polite. Serious matters of contention should be polite * 2, or all you're going to do is have an argument.

Why? Did you suddenly think "If Keanu Reeves can get paid millions with his acting ability then I'm gonna be an actor too!"?

:smile:

No. It was much more than that.

Prestige was very good as well. I really think that Christopher Nolan has something going for him. He has delivered some really great movies in this decade. Looking forward to many more.

Last night I started watching the HBO series "The Wire." I'm halfway through season 1 and so far it's damn good television. It's pretty neat to see both sides of a drug war operating, I can't recall any other shows that emphasized both police and criminals the way this show does. The acting is superb. Michael K. Williams does a fantastic job as the role of Omar Little. Anyone interested in crime drama should definitely check this out.

Last night I started watching the HBO series "The Wire." I'm halfway through season 1 and so far it's damn good television. It's pretty neat to see both sides of a drug war operating, I can't recall any other shows that emphasized both police and criminals the way this show does. The acting is superb. Michael K. Williams does a fantastic job as the role of Omar Little. Anyone interested in crime drama should definitely check this out.

Almost done with season 4 - best season so far and a great show. Omar is the best character in the series IMHO.

LOL I had to laugh at that one.

And Prestige is also a very awesome movie.

You should always be polite. Serious matters of contention should be polite * 2, or all you're going to do is have an argument.

I agree, though perhaps Russ would disagree with my agreement :) It is something to strive for at least even if it is not achieved. Is this just movies or shows too?

I was watching (yes I admit it) the legend of the seeker while trying to get in shape on an exercise trainer. It is interesting from the perspective of one who read the books, but it is incredibly bad. The first episode was a 3/10 then it went down to a 1/10 and started crawling back up afterward till it got to 4.5/10 territory. It is as if the actors never acted and never read the books. Some of the bit characters seem to have much better acting abilities than the main characters. If you want a laugh though it is not bad.

Merlin is by far better than Legend of the Seeker, even with its homo-eroticism.

The Prestige was indeed a great movie. 9/10.

I just watched Appaloosa last night. The movie is an utter piece of garbage and a waste of two hours of my life. It has decent actors like Vigo Mortenson, Renee Zellweger, Jeremy Irons, and Ed Harris. The movie was directed by Ed Harris and that is the major problem with the movie. The music didn't fit in. It had horrible pacing and felt like the story skipped from one point to another so abruptly it lacked any cohesion at all. And for a western flick it was devoid of any good action scenes. I hated the main character.

Yeah, we got 4 seasons on DVD now, love the show. It is also interesting to contrast it with a show like Deadwood, which I also really liked - they share a whole bunch of similarities, but their pacing is very different in many ways - after watching a bunch of Deadwood, returning to The Wire is really relaxing. A season can take several episodes to get going, and episodes last a full hour in The Wire, whereas 45 minutes of Deadwood are generally very intense, and full of (interestingly written) dialogue too (it's really Shakespearean at times, especially The Mayor's part). Both series haven't been aired on any of the channels aired here and I bought them based purely on reading about them on discussion forums. :D

My TV highlights of last year definitely include these two, and House, which I also really, really love, still.

Back