MountMgr.sys BSOD when booting Win2k.

Goragoth

Regular
This is pretty weird, maybe someone knows something about this (googled it but couldn't come up with anything).

After installing my new mobo I went to copy something from CD and it was going pretty sluggish (the whole computer slowed down, mouse cursor moved erratic and system.exe was intermitedly using near 100% cpu power) so I checked the device manager and sure enough IDE2 was using PIO, wtf??? I know it wasn't before, I figured windows had changed it back for some reason when I chucked in the new mobo (though IDE1 was still in UDMA mode).

I changed it to DMA if available and it wanted to reboot but I chose no. Then I went to install the latest nforce drivers including the sw-ide thing. After that I rebooted and got the dreaded BSOD during boot with a some error in MountMngr.sys.

After much panicking I tried safe mode but that wouldn't start (told me some error occured and that it was shutting down, no BSOD). Then I tried Last Known Good Config and that got me booted fine. Now the network card wasn't working (disabled with error in device manager) but I fixed that. Anyway, IDE2 is back at PIO and the IDE drivers say they are MS ones not the nVidia ones. Either the nVidia drivers or setting IDE2 to DMA broke something.

I'll have to experiment with it but in the meantime, does anyone know what might be wrong? Both should really work fine and the way it is at the moment isn't really how I want to leave it.

Back