Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

Not similar though, Q1 is up 15%, Q2 is up 30%, Q3 is up 70%, and Q4 is up by more than 2X.
Fair point, some of the other quarters were not similar, nor marginal increases. By my point on the guesswork of what drove the increases remains.

Hopefully Sony will introduce greater transparency on the smaller parts of their business that currently get consolidated into Other. That ought to happen when they reach sufficient growth.
Psvr 2 would only fall into Q4 22 correct? All of the other quarters are still up.
The challenge with Other is it includes PC gamers, controllers, charging stations, Pulse Headsets, and everything that isn't PlayStation console hardware or software.

I know gaming journalism is at a low point, but it would have been nice if PC Gamer reached out to Sony to ask how PlayStation games were selling on PC! <insert facepalm emoji>

Last edited by a moderator:
PC probably did close to the $300M they were expecting. Most of the "other" segment will be controllers and peripherals.

Interesting article about GAAS strategy of Sony and Firewalk and confirmation of a day one release on PC and PS5.

An interesting side note on the game that Firewalk is making is that it's not technically going to be a PS5 exclusive, as the game is also being simultaneously developed for PC. It makes business sense to launch live-service titles across multiple platforms, as it gives the title a larger addressable market in which to build an audience. Is this an approach Sony might be making with all its service-based titles?

Hulst remains coy: "We have made significant progress delivering games on PC in recent years, so where it makes sense for the game and the studio, it's a great option to have. But it's a decision that we will make for each individual game."

I hope Sony has a wider plan to adopt all these live services to the PC landscape. I think a lot of them might find better success there.

As long as they are marketed properly

I think the first PS5 only games will be announced on PC this PS Showcase maybe Demon soul's Remake or Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.
Rift Apart will be a interesting title to see on PC with various storage options. :yes:

Interview of Jim Ryan.

They will continue to release PC games
Q:That sounds exciting. Finally, I have a question about the gaming PC market. In recent years, the gaming PC market has grown in Japan as well. From SIE's point of view, the number of PS5 rivals will increase, but please tell us your frank thoughts on the excitement of the gaming PC market in Japan.

Ryan: I think that's a very good thing. When considering the multifaceted development of game IP, PCs are indispensable for allowing more people to enjoy games in a variety of ways. I think the more the better.

Q:SIE will continue to actively release PC versions in the future.

Ryan: Yes , we will be proactive.

But they will stagger PC release and priority to Ps5
We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles. As I mentioned earlier, PlayStation Studios' main responsibility is to have people enjoy the game experience using the latest PS. We are increasing the number of PS5-exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.

I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably.

I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably.
Which fans? Conventional wisdom says you want concurrent releases to maximise marketing investment - an older game is a bit 'stale' even if not played. Is that not really a concern? PC sales aren't bad, but they also lag PS sales per title despite a larger potential audience - is that a result of releasing later, or just different interests from PC gamers?

Which fans? Conventional wisdom says you want concurrent releases to maximise marketing investment - an older game is a bit 'stale' even if not played. Is that not really a concern? PC sales aren't bad, but they also lag PS sales per title despite a larger potential audience - is that a result of releasing later, or just different interests from PC gamers?

He never asked to PC fans. This is Jim Ryan the guy who told Sony don't want cross play to protect the children. This is because Playstation is the main platform of Sony and they don't want hardcore gamers to quit it for PC. PC is additional revenue and this is why it is in column other in Sony earning report.

Sony main revenue and profit comes from third party games sales, DLC and microtransaction on PSN. PSN and Playstation console or cloud will always be the priority for Sony.

Last edited:
PS consumers apparently. Sony needs to keep as many PS owners as possible in the PS ecosystem. The services and royalties are the big revenue sources.
So Sony makes sure that there are more reasons to buy a PS5 rather than another unit of a software they specifically made regardless of platfom. PS5 exclusives ensure this. A PS5 owner will bring revenue to Sony by buying the next Gran Turismo and the next Fifa. A PC owner will just bring revenue from just Gran Turismo.

Reactions: snc
PS consumers apparently. Sony needs to keep as many PS owners as possible in the PS ecosystem. The services and royalties are the big revenue sources.
So Sony makes sure that there are more reasons to buy a PS5 rather than another unit of a software they specifically made regardless of platfom. PS5 exclusives ensure this. A PS5 owner will bring revenue to Sony by buying the next Gran Turismo and the next Fifa. A PC owner will just bring revenue from just Gran Turismo.
If PC release had any impact on Playstation consoles sales, Sony would have stop the PC release. This is just how it works, console or Cloud in the future, the PS ecosystem is king.

If PC release had any impact on Playstation consoles sales, Sony would have stop the PC release. This is just how it works, console or Cloud in the future, the PS ecosystem is king.
Apparently the business model of releasing PS5 exclusives later on PC rather than day one, doesnt have any effect.

Interview of Jim Ryan.

They will continue to release PC games

But they will stagger PC release and priority to Ps5
Quite obvious strategy tough read with amusement here posts expecting most game day 1 on pc

Conventional wisdom also means that for people who own both a PS5 and gaming PC, they may well double-dip and if you give such owners day and date options, that might opt to buy on PC digitally from Valve or Epic depriving Sony of the retailer cut they would otherwise have gotten from a PSN sale. And the piracy situation remains vastly worse on PC.

Conventional wisdom also means that for people who own both a PS5 and gaming PC, they may well double-dip and if you give such owners day and date options, that might opt to buy on PC digitally from Valve or Epic depriving Sony of the retailer cut they would otherwise have gotten from a PSN sale. And the piracy situation remains vastly worse on PC.

However, there's also a downside to that if the person that owns a PS5 and a gaming PC only ever buys the occasional PS5 exclusive because that's the only reason they own a PS5. That means that PS5 isn't contributing a lot to Sony's bottom line since it's not generating revenue from 3rd party game sales. Granted this is far more impactful when the console is supply limited than when it is not, so going forwards it should have minimal impact. However, when the "next" generation arrives, Sony will be reducing their revenue a fair amount by not having their titles release day and date.

On the plus side however, it means they basically have more development time for the PC version and thus the PC versions of their games will always run better than if they were released day and date ... oh wait. Uh, at least in theory that should be the case. :p

Regards,
SB

TLOU Factions will release day one on PC and it is probably a free to play game and all other Sony GAAS game will release day one on PC too

Back