Most powerful wireless router?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm tired of my Mom's crappy Gateway 2wire router, (3800HGV-B), as she's got a pretty big house and her centrally located router basically covers just her computer room. :?

What's a really powerful wireless router? She's only using G devices, so no N required...but I'll go that route if it's better.

I'm tired of my Mom's crappy Gateway 2wire router, (3800HGV-B), as she's got a pretty big house and her centrally located router basically covers just her computer room. :?

What's a really powerful wireless router? She's only using G devices, so no N required...but I'll go that route if it's better.

It's not that simple. You can get more powerful routers (within reason), or better aerials, or third party firmware that will let you change power, but you might want to try moving the unit. You can't just crank the power up to make up for (say) thick walls, as you won't get a good signal unless the client end can do the same to send it's signal back the same way.

Personally, I really like Buffalo routers. Cheap, well specced, can take DD-WRT. If you're serious about routers, I'd check the DD-WRT website and see what people are recommending at the moment. With that firmware you can crank up the power if necessary.

I did that for mine, I gots a Linksys WRT54G that my neighbor was going to toss because it was bricked. Flashed it with DD-WRT and the thing has been an insane freaking champ for me, love it to death!

My Mom doesn't have thick walls or any bad interference thingies, just a truly shittieous router right now methinks. It doesn't even have an antenna, I mean it's CHEAP! :oops:

I was hoping there was some well known, great wireless router. Guess I'll just stick with the ones I know then.

Uh...why not pick up another WRT54G and DD-WRT it?
I was thinking of getting the WRT54GL and DD-WRTing it actually, it's on sale at Newegg right now for $50 shipped. :)

Seems like the right first place to start, get a solid router in there. If that doesn't fix it I'll get more extreme. :)

I currently use a Belkin N1 Vision and must say its great, it has a small screen on the front allowing you to view things like how much download/upload you are using plus it looks the part.

Def worth the buy

This may be a silly question, but could there simply be something else that is interfering with the channel you've chosen for the WAN? I had problems for a while until I got hold of inSSIDer and it showed up another network on a nearby frequency that seemed to appear when our network had problems.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will identify other sources of interference (e.g. cordless phones etc) unless you also buy some other bit of kit, but I didn't seem to need that to fix our problem. (Though having said that, since it displays real-time signal strength, you could try switching off equipment in the house to see if it makes a difference).

What's a MIMO router? And thanks for the tip Simon, I will check it out when I put the new router in. I didn't install their network originally so I have almost no clue how it's set up, the fact that no one there knows their passwords for anything does NOT help!

I'm feeling confident, I can't wait for the new router to come. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it'll at least allow me to figure out how to address the problem properly. :)

MIMO = Multiple Input Multiple Output. These routers use multiple transmitters and receivers. Instead of sending one data stream, multiple data streams are sent in parallel thereby improving the data rate

Back