Most CPU intensive games

Morrowind - what's the deal w/that game engine? PC HW review sites don't use it as a reference game any more & I've always wondered how it scales, if at all, on late model HW & where the hang up is/was, CPU or GPU. My suspicion is that it's more CPU than GPU bound, but ya never know. As a previous poster noted, probably just another poorly coded game w/flags not dropping, resulting in ever accumulating memory leaks.

I think I once read that the render order was stupidly reversed, so any culling/occlusion techniques on modern GPUs are basically unusable. And, yea, it was more CPU dependent when released back in 2002.

I'll take the Ice Storm Fighters challenge tonight if I can ween myself off of LOTRO long enough to d/l, install, and run it once the kids are in bed.

I think I once read that the render order was stupidly reversed, so any culling/occlusion techniques on modern GPUs are basically unusable. And, yea, it was more CPU dependent when released back in 2002.

I've also heard mention that they spend something like 1/3 of render time on water reflections, even when there's no water to be seen..

Well I'm definitely CPU limited in Fallout 3. Sometimes I get slowdowns to ~35fps and lowering AA and AF has no effect in these situations. In most games 35fps minimum would be great, but my solution to the mouse lag requires a consistent 50+fps
(I use FPS Limiter to lock framerate at 50fps and force vsync and triple buffering with D3DOverrider. But if fps drops below the lock the lag returns (WTF?). )

Here is a CPU-load snap-shot during a heavy MP session in L4D:
l4dcpuloadtb5.png

Looks very similar to the GTA4 load-levels, though. Probably a tri-core CPU could be saturated well enough, here.

Yea Fellix, the CS:S community is praying for an update to the L4D engine, DOD:S got it recently and the framerate doubled. When (or if) it finally arrives we won't need 4.0ghz penryns for 100fps. Those kernel times look high too, is that an indicator of system calls?

Hi guys! I just discovered this forum tonight, pretty cool site!

anyway, i found it while i was looking for a new game to test out my new i7 that i bought.

here are my system stats:

intel core i7 920
vista ultimate x64
12 gb of ddr3 corsair memory (tripple channeled)
nvidia 8800gts 640mb video card (not the best i know)
msi x58 platinum sli motherboard

here is the link to the results...

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2s007S

let me know if i can test other things with my system if you need!!

Jack

q6600 stock 2.4ghz
xp32
4gb ddr2
gt260 898mb video card 1920x1200
asus p5w-dh deluxe

and why is the usage so high on the virtual cores is it a parculiararity of hyperthreading because the virtual cores are part of the real cores ?

Edit magoo just realised I did mine on demo high you appear to have used game low and very early into it hence score 20 and the fact you dont appear to be getting hit by a constant stream of missles

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kinda relative but stick with me.

Counter:Strike Source and Team Fortress 2. They aren't the hardest hitters, but in these two games it is absolutely critical to maintain at least 100 and 66 frames per second, respectively, for connection quality reasons. Their respective versions of the Source engine aren't multi-threaded (maybe TF2 is a bit but it crashes when you force it fully) and it takes a lot of ghz to do it.

Yeah still waiting for the multicore support that valve promised. A 32 player server brings my 2,7Ghz Conroe to it's knees.

Can I benchmark with ISF or should I just run the demo on high? Does it use CUDA Physx? I didn't let it install the old Physx package it came with. How do I change resolution? It defaults to 1280x1024 or something.

Ice Storm Fighters, what you've been telling people to run you crazy man! I have an i7 ...

CS:S is CPU dependant pretty bad.

I got a nice boost when overclocking my CPU from stick 2.1ghz to 3.8ghz.

Gained me ~55fps

1280x1024, 4xMSAA, maxxed out everything - 287fps average

Single 8800GT

I've yet to see any game utilize/warm up the CPU like the 'Intel Burn Test' stability program. It even heats the CPU 5-10c more than Prime95!

And while CPU temperature might not be the best gauge for CPU utilisation it still is worth something I would think.

My vote goes to FSX regarding games. 100% CPU utilisiation and higher temps that other games I have. Also Crysis/Warhead seems to have rather low CPU utilisation but Crysis Wars has quite a bit higher.

Back