Most CPU intensive games

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by Old Right Member, Jan 10, 2009.

1. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yeah FSX is a good one. I would love to see some CPU scaling benchmarks for that game using Nehalem as well as C2Q/C2D.

2. Davros

Legend

fsx does use more than 2 cores, doesnt like sli either
    its a shames toms uses fsx in the vga charts but not the cpu charts

#22 Davros, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  3. PhilTaylor

Newcomer

with SP1 multi-threaded support for scenery loading and terrain texture synthesis during flight was added. which will work for the up to 32 cores addressable by SetThreadAffinityMask.

SLI is done through driver magic, read the NV doc on it, it has advice on what not to do so you dont stuff up the magic the driver does.

yes, I am surprised FSX hasnt been used in more CPU tests.

4. Davros

Legend

has anyone tried the intel quadcore benchmark (the fugly one with the hovercraft) on a i7

ps: If anyone is thinking Phil Taylor i've heard that name before
    well your right, the above poster is indeed
    "Philthy" Phil Taylor of Motorhead fame :D
    [​IMG]

#24 Davros, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  5. muzux2

Newcomer

World in Conflict..

6. pjbliverpool

Legend

Ice storm fighters.... yeah I would love to see some i7 benchmarks with that.

7. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Dungeon Siege. Went from a Radeon9800 Pro to an X850XTPE and the fps improvement was zero. DX7 game though. :p

8. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

This is kinda relative but stick with me.

Counter:Strike Source and Team Fortress 2. They aren't the hardest hitters, but in these two games it is absolutely critical to maintain at least 100 and 66 frames per second, respectively, for connection quality reasons. Their respective versions of the Source engine aren't multi-threaded (maybe TF2 is a bit but it crashes when you force it fully) and it takes a lot of ghz to do it.

9. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Got myself a QX9650 .. should be able to get 3.6Ghz .. or so I hope. Hope to see an increase in GTA4 which uses all 4 cores.

US

10. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I v-lock at 60fps in TF2 and never have any noticeable connection quality issues. But when I do get the occasional slowdown to ~30fps, reducing AA and AF and overclocking the GPU has no impact on performance -> the game is CPU limited on my 3.2GHz E6750 + GTX260 at 1440x900 with _all_ settings maxed.

11. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

servers tick at 66 updates/second and unless you have at least 66fps at all times you really can't run "cl_cmdrate 66". Many servers don't care that you are vsynced at 60 and they force 66 rates on you, so you basically play with 6 choke all the time. It's even worse in CS:S where servers tick at 100 and you need 100fps for cl_cmdrate 100. People with 100fps and 100 cmdrate/updaterate will have significantly better hit reg. My E8400 runs at 4.2ghz and I still get times in both CS:S and TF2 when my framerate dips below 100 and 66, respectively. r_3dsky 0 helps a lot though, but Valve really needs to update both games to the L4D engine where muti-threading finally works.

btw, vsync is a bad idea in Source because for example if you are synced at 60hz, if your framerate dips below that, without triple buffering it will get halved to 30, and if you had your cmdrate set to 60 to take advantage of running at 60fps, you just got 30 choke. And it always happens when it hursts you the most, in firefights. Not to mention if you cap yourself to 60fps with vsync you can't use 100 rates in CS:S and most of the other players will have 40 more updates per second than you to and from the server. You can force triple buffering with Direct3dOverrider but the input lag is not worth it imo. I play at a high enough refresh rate not to see the tearing anymore, but with a 60hz lcd you have to pick your poison, imo it's much better to turn vsync off so you can use the best rates and just try to ignore the tearing.

#31 shiznit, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  12. Davros

Legend

So will any i7 owners take up the Ice storm fighters challenge ?

13. homerdog

Interesting. I use vsync and triple buffering in TF2 'cause the lag doesn't really matter when I'm demo spamming :grin:. In CS:S I choose to leave vsync off and suffer the tearing.

14. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

sorry I edited again without refreshing first. bad habit.

15. pjbliverpool

Legend

16. Davros

Legend

Personally I think they're scared :D

17. Thorburn

Regular

18. Davros

Legend

your i7 perhaps

19. IdaGno

Newcomer

Morrowind - what's the deal w/that game engine? PC HW review sites don't use it as a reference game any more & I've always wondered how it scales, if at all, on late model HW & where the hang up is/was, CPU or GPU. My suspicion is that it's more CPU than GPU bound, but ya never know. As a previous poster noted, probably just another poorly coded game w/flags not dropping, resulting in ever accumulating memory leaks.

20. homerdog

I picked up Morrowind a few months back. Performance was fine, but I got wicked mouse lag when vsync was enabled, as I do in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Somethings screwy with that engine there is.