Mortal Kombat X [Multiplatform]

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend

“Mortal Kombat has always been about over-the-top, visceral fighting and with Mortal Kombat X we wanted to utilise the power of new-gen consoles to give players our most intense game yet,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “The team has worked hard to make sure Mortal Kombat X delivers everything fans expect along with new characters, new game modes and an all new graphics engine.”

Mortal Kombat X combines cinematic presentation with all new gameplay to deliver the most brutal Kombat experience ever, offering a new fully-connected experience that launches players into a persistent online contest where every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy. For the first time, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style. Players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together.

For more information about Mortal Kombat X, please visit www.mortalkombat.com and www.facebook.com/MortalKombat.

Looks like a mixture of actual gameplay (minus the life-bar), with a cinematic visual appeal. Looks damn good...

Edit: I wonder if NeatherRealm Studios' is using the latest Unreal Engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
The video makes me not want to play it. Don't like the art style or the music. I was just playing the original Mortal Kombat arcade machine last night and there's some weird element of realism that makes it feel unique. I think it's the way the players move, and the fact that they're scans of people so they have real human proportions. Some of the animations are pretty awesome too. The uppercut, the ninjas roundhouse and sweep kicks are all great. These new Mortal Kombat games are just too much of a cartoon, even though they're still dark and gory.

Mk9 was great the best Mk since Mk2. I wonder why they dont scan real actors and place the textures over polys. I wonder if the ratings system keeps them from going the uber realistic route.

trcrdb.png

If nextgen & PC are getting UE4... what will happen with oldgen?

Need to see actual gameplay to be convinced. If that was gameplay in the trailer, then I'm very disappointed, although the graphics look nice.

Very unlikely to be in-engine, more like CGI using game-styled camera work. Too much geometry detail and such, certainly not representative of the final game.

Mk9 was great the best Mk since Mk2. I wonder why they dont scan real actors and place the textures over polys. I wonder if the ratings system keeps them from going the uber realistic route.
That's the one I prefer too. I hope Baraka along with Scorpion (well, this one is confirmed by the video) are in the new one.

Nobody in real life/holywood fights the way modern video games do. This trailer was more focused on traditional MK moves, which is fine.

They wanted to mimick the gameplay I believe thats why the animations weren't the "best" you would expect

It's already confirmed CGI (very obvious imho), but the biggest thing that gives it away for me is that personally I couldn't imagine this game to have such slow animations. Simple hits can take as little as 8 frames out of 60fps. None of the animations here come close.

In general, I would actually expect a far better looking game than this CGI trailer is showing. In 2.5D, both consoles should have ample power for some great real-time effects and lighting and much nicer looking environments in general (maybe not more detailed).

The video makes me not want to play it. Don't like the art style or the music. I was just playing the original Mortal Kombat arcade machine last night and there's some weird element of realism that makes it feel unique. I think it's the way the players move, and the fact that they're scans of people so they have real human proportions. Some of the animations are pretty awesome too. The uppercut, the ninjas roundhouse and sweep kicks are all great. These new Mortal Kombat games are just too much of a cartoon, even though they're still dark and gory.

The original MK is fun but the graphics/animation are only good for nostalgia. It looks quite horrible compared to the modern MK games.

The original MK is fun but the graphics/animation are only good for nostalgia. It looks quite horrible compared to the modern MK games.

I do agree with that for the most part. There is something pleasing about the aesthetic that I don't think the newer games capture. The new games look too clean and have a painted cartoony look to them. Also, some of the animation in the first two games looked great, especially the ninjas. Other characters like Sonja were ridiculous. Her kicks look like an aerobics workout. The new games just don't do it for me. The character designs are too overdone, like Scorpion in the 2011 game. And the animations don't all look that great.

I dont see why current gen shouldn't be able to reach that CG trailer!

And even if it cant, it proves we have along way to go in even the supposedly graphically maxed out genres like fighting games!

But since it's cross gen, I'd worry they wont reach that trailer.

Back