Morrowind, it's pretty fun still actually.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Grall, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

My wood elf has finally come over the hill, in the sense that I now can beat any encounter with no real problem instead of getting squished; I'm roughly level 28, or thereabouts. Only time I have some issues still is when I get certain types of magic cast on me or get assaulted by two foes at the same time both armed with daedric weapons. If that happens, I just gobble a health potion which I brewed when my skill wasn't maxed out and using only 2 ingredients, and that's enough to give me the upper hand.

I plan to max out alchemy soon, need to find a restocking vendor of saltrice and some other ingredient that buffs restore health, so I can make mega-potions with 4 ingredients with all the same effect... :D Also need a couple more grandmaster alchemy apparatuses.

The difficulty curve in this game is just nuts. You come off the boat in the beginning and go down the road and encounter a rat. You swing your knife roughly 80 times at it, and it's finally dead. The knife is also half-destroyed by now.

27-ish levels later, I've now got level 100 stealth, and very high levels on my short blade and marksman skills, acrobatics and a couple others, yet...mercantile and speechcraft was at like...12, or something. And it punishes you for failing at your skills, yet with so low skill level there's basically no chance of success either. So you don't get anywhere. Only chance to level these up is by paying a trainer... Pretty crap system I have to say!

Even so, if you do manage to level up say mercantile to 100 (good luck with that lol), there's no vendors in the game that can afford any of the biggest loot in the game. A daedric warhammer, 36000 golds. Nobody can afford to buy it from me. NOBODY. Lol! And these weapons start gushing forth as soon as you hit level 20+ and start raiding daedric shrines. I've got enough of em already stashed in Caius Cosades' house to buy half of Morrowind by now and I've only cleared about a half-dozen of those ruins, it's ridiculous for chrissakes. :)

If I was to start all over from scratch again I would siltstrider to Balmora as soon as possible after acquiring a small starting capital, then run to the temple and start working on my alchemy skill. I'd use it to create potions to trade to that snooty alchemy woman in the highest tier of the city for her alchemical gear, waiting for 24 hours to let her gold reset when neccessary. Then I'd proceed to Caldera and work up my gold capital by selling my junk to Creeper. Once I have a sufficient amount, I'd go up to ghostgate and load up on glass armor. The shield in particular is great. Only boring aspect of this is, there's no upgrade path from glass armor, if I want to stick to light armor for my rogue. It's the best there is, unless there's improved armors in Tribunal and Bloodmoon... Oh well.

Then, with a bunch of my excellent healing potions in my pack, I can start hunting for a good weapon. I currently weild a daedric wakizashi which lets me chop up even the biggest enemies to bits in 10 seconds, and often less. The exception is golden saints, dremora lords etc who wear shields. They tend to block A LOT, so they take longer. But they don't hit hard enough to be a problem. :)

Now... WHERE do I find a great BOW? Best one so far is a longbow I found on a damn skeleton in a grave, early on in the nerevarine quest chain (when you go to fetch a skull for an orc woman). That sucks! I need something with more oomph, this one barely kills a cliff racer with one shot (only happened once so far).

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You can sell your high value loot to the creeper. Just sell some lesser stuff to him, rest 24hrs and repeat until he has enough merchandise to trade you for that 36000 daedric hammer, then sell him all the stuff back. It'll take you like 10 game days to complete this transaction but realtime it's only a couple minutes (probly faster on PC version I played it on the Xbox).

I've sold things worth 100s of 1000s using this trick.

3. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I just started playing oblivion again. It isn't quite on topic, but I do think morrowind had it beat in certain ways. You can get a glass bow somewhere. Oblivion has no good bows either :( BTW you know the corpus trick right?

4. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Yeah, Morrowind, with all it's faults and warts, is still an Epic game. Much better than Oblivion.

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I didn't like that there's a block BUTTON in oblivion. It makes blocking extremely difficult and cumbersome IMO, I always tend to hit it too late. Since I prefer playing with a 1-handed weapon and shield it means I can't enjoy my preferred playstyle effectively - which sux. So I never bothered much with Oblivion.

Morrowind has a lot of really good stuff going for it. I really REALLY like the alchemy system for example. The only letdown here is the crap interface for it - if you could sort ingredients according to their effect it would be like 20x more useful. And to not have them clutter up the inventory and bog you down with their weight too would be excellent, since you have no effective way to store your junk anywhere. I heard you can earn a mansion somehow by joining one of the great houses, but I never bothered with that last time I clocked the game, and besides that means playing very very far into the game before reaching that point... Not sure that'd be much of an improvement.

I would very much like to have a version of Morrowind's alchemy imported into WoW. That'd rock. Alchemy in WoW is relatively lacklustre - you need vials (and herbs) to make potions, that's all. No water, oil or alcohol to dissolve the active ingredients, no apparatuses to distill essences out of the solutions... It's pretty crap really from an immersion point of view! Like you can sew clothes in WoW with just cloth and thread... No needle, no scissors needed. Lol. A bit too dumbed down a system, IMO.

If Morrowind had been given another 6 months of development time that was spent on the interface - which is clumsy and amateurish in many regards - and the crappy questing system, it could have been an exquisite gem of a game. Even with its shitty gamebryo 3D engine; WoW's engine also sucks donkey schlongs for example and they still have 11.5 million active subscribers...

If Morrowind had had WoW's (admittedly unrealistic, but very convenient) system with visual indicators showing questgiver and quest NPCs, it would have been even more fun. I can't begin to imagine how much time I wasted in cities like Vivec running all over the place looking for Nirdas Edrenen, Edrenas Idrinon and Irdas Nedrenen and similarly named characters, all obviously algorithmically generated NPC names, amongst a sea of extremely similarly named NPCs.

It's still a very fun game though. I really do love stumbling upon another old ruin full of crazies for me to slay and loot! It's awesome. :D

6. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Oblivion has a blocking button. There are mods for alchemy. One that is pretty good automatically strips you of all the ingredients and stores them at an altar of sort where you can make potions. Then you don't have to carry them around with you, but they are still all handy to get to.

7. KimB

Legend

The way around this, for me, is to stash all of the high-value sales items right next to an enchanter (I usually pick the one in the Vivec mage's guild, since it's also near an armorer, but it doesn't matter that much). Once I get enough money to enchant any single item I want (around 120k or so), I do this:
    1. Pick up a few items to sell.
    2. Enchant an item.
    3. Before saying goodbye, go to the barter screen. The merchant will have their own gold plus the gold that I just paid for enchanting. I can sell a few items and voila! Got all of my money back!

Well, there are some artifacts as well:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Artifacts

These often, but not always, have better offense/defense than the best Daedric or glass items, plus much better magical effects than you can enchant Daedric/glass with.

Hmmm, never really went for using bows in Morrowind. There are definitely a number of Daedric bows around, though. Since you're getting up in levels, why don't you try the waterways under Vivec? There are some Daedra worshippers there that drop some leveled gear, if I remember correctly.

8. KimB

Legend

It's not really that bad. The main house quest lines are about as long as the quest lines for the guilds. You don't have to have even started the main quest to join one of the houses. One of the bonuses, though, is that if you go after the main quest, when you have to be made Hortator of the main houses, you don't need to go through the quests for the one you joined (if you've completed that house's quest line, naturally).