more Xbox 2 games, including a new Ridge Racer, rumored

things seem to be accelerating for Xbox 2 ...shifting into higher gear...

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/567/567767p1.html

If you own an Xbox, that future is all about Xbox 2. Sure, next year you'll see a full roster of excellent games appearing on the first Xbox, but you'll unquestionably see a fat lineup of games simultaneously on Xbox 2.

Namco should bring a once classic series to the system, one that was once the top of the line in its genre, but has faded over the last years thanks to a certain Sony game in the same category.

can you say Ridge Racer ;)

unrelated CG from PSP's Ridge Racers
rrs27.jpg

rrs25.jpg

I want to play something that looks like that :oops:

even if Xbox 2's Ridge Racer does not reach PSP Ridge Racer CG level, I think that PS1's Ridge Racer Type 4 CG is deadmeat...opps.... I mean dead meat :LOL:

RR Type 4 CG
r4intro3.jpg

r4intro2.jpg

.....check out the video stills of the XNA Crash demo
http://www.microsoft.com/xna/multimedia.aspx/

From the old rumor...
http://www.gamedaily.com/general/feature/general.asp?id=352&source=00001
New Ridge Racer for XNA

Namco was in Toronto recently chatting it up with XNA developer Pseudo Interactive regarding their interactive car demo that was showcased at Microsoft's press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. The two companies chatted about the possibility of Pseudo doing the next generation Ridge Racer title. We will keep you posted as more information becomes available. Pseudo Interactive is doing the port of Pariah for the PlayStation 2 and they are trying to drum up some other work. If you think you know the name Pseudo Interactive, you probably have, they are the folks who made Cel Damage in the early days of the Xbox!

Sounds more promising than NST ;)

I don't think they are making a new ridge racer but they are working on a racing game of some sort.

Namco supporting xbox 2 would be interesting though.

The racing game is not a Ridge Racer. At least, that's what the rumor says.

It's not Ridge Racer but it is something that should be excellent none the less. My understanding of the rumor is that it may be on display before any Xenon hardware is released for the home. In other words, it could eb the first arcade game based on Xenon hardware. It's nothing concrete though, just a hunch from me. I mean, what other way to get people salivating about the amazing graphics that Xenon will offer other than releasing an arcade game to wow the world?

RR's value would seem to be more nostalgic than anything else.

Namco does make beautiful games but when I hear Tekken 5 isn't going to be online and we know AC5 wasn't, the prospect of a new RR, regardless of where it appears, just doesn't seem as interesting.

You know there will be online racers for all the systems and most of these will be on par with or should exceed RR graphically.

RR games have always nicely demonstrated the capability of hardware, but more importantly they did it with style. Art direction in every RR game is top notch, and that's why they are always welcome, IMO. The latest RR on PSP is definitely not an exception - on both the technical and art direction front, it's a shining jewel of the PSP launch software.

Namco does make beautiful games but when I hear Tekken 5 isn't going to be online and we know AC5 wasn't, the prospect of a new RR, regardless of where it appears, just doesn't seem as interesting.
What makes you think future RRs won't be online games? RR on PSP already allows for WiFi connected multiplay. Even if Namco/Sony won't make some kind of PSP online service initially, chance of having some tunneling software that will let you play online through your local WiFi network are very high.

Ace Combat 5 is primarily a single player game, and a great one at that. To dismissing it for the lack of online mode is foolish, IMO.

The first RR game, which was the arcade, was cool. The first one on the PSX was also cool, people at the time comparing it to a movie.

I just have a predilection for online games. Most of the gaming market is still geared towards the singleplayer experience and I accept that.

I sure hope they do make online games for the PSP. They may market the PSP to the commuter train riders (those PSP kiosks at those Japanese train stations) but how common would it be for PSP-bearing train riders to look for others with PSPs and the same games?

Namco isn't really the only ones not to make online games. Looks like most Japanese developers/publishers aren't quite as committed as American developers/publishers to online games. Sure there are online games from Japan but for the most part, the feature-set (like headset support) isn't as comprehensive. Then again, American online games could be a lot more too.

london-boy said:
If i can't play something that looks the same as the Citroen "Transformer" commercial, i'll be disappointed.

Kidding!

The Nike transformer/mecha TV commercial is still the best.

Back