More stupid vista questions

ERP

Veteran
Does anyone know if multiple video cards of different types (not SLI just driving seperate monitors) is supported with the latest NVida drivers under Vista?

Can I install vista on say a USB drive so I can verify all my hardware and the software I care about runs before I replace my XP install?

How big is your USB drive o_O

The requirements for Windows Vista includes 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space. If you have an external HDD, you can try installing there, though I'm not sure if the installer will let you do that or not.

If you want to use Vista WDDM drivers (and get the fancy glass UI), all the video cards in your system must use the same driver, and it is highly recommended that they all be on the PCI-E bus (for example, one AGP + one PCI is *not* recommended). They can be different cards as long as they run the same driver, they do not have to be SLI or anything like that. I think the latest NVidia drivers *should* work for that, but I'm not certain.

If you install XP XDDM drivers, Vista goes into a backwards compatibility mode and this limitation is removed (any 2 or more video cards should work), but you lose the new UI and the new desktop acceleration features.

Back