All Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

No. From the Apple/Epic lawsuit the question was if the "console hardware" was ever sold at a profit. The question had nothing to do with the business overall.

Right, makes sense, as actual console hardware rarely is profitable, instead often they make losses there.

More doesn't mean 'latest' - they could just start releasing some of the back catalogue like Uncharted. The 'trend' is that a game which is a Sony first party game and is getting a sequel on the PS5 gets a PC port...is there anything outside that?

Either way I don't really mind, TBH it would suit me if everything came to PC but I'm happy to have exclusives of the quality Sony bring...it makes buying their console worthwhile.

Right, makes sense, as actual console hardware rarely is profitable, instead often they make losses there.

We had this discussion on B3D already @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2202926/ , key points being:

The nature of console business market is it's setup to be loss leader or razor thin margins on hardware to get consumers into the ecco-systems and make the profit on games, accessory, and service sales.

Actual Court statements below:
---
“Has Microsoft ever earned a profit on the sale of an Xbox console?” lawyer asks. “No,” Wright says.

“If Microsoft sells consoles at a loss, why does it keep selling them?” lawyer asks.

Because the business model is set up to deliver an “end to end consumer experience,” and they make money in the long run over sales/subscriptions.

There are only Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Days Gone in the big AAA Sony Games. ... And on average the port comes 3 years out of Death Stranding. And it was from the get go sure to have a PC version because it was a deal with Kojima Productions.

You have an interesting way of calculating averages.

HZD - 3 years
Death Stranding - 9 months
Days Gone - 2 years

Average 3 years??

And all 3 of those big name games have launched in the last 10 months just around the time Sony have said they will start releasing more first part games on the PC. So I really don't think the record over the last 6 years or so is a particularly good bellwether for what will happen over the next 6.

More doesn't mean 'latest' - they could just start releasing some of the back catalogue like Uncharted. The 'trend' is that a game which is a Sony first party game and is getting a sequel on the PS5 gets a PC port...is there anything outside that?

Sequels have been announced for Days Gone and Death Stranding?

Sequels have been announced for Days Gone and Death Stranding?
Death Stranding isn't first party is it?

Days Gone might be to see if a sequel is worth doing...but the point is that we're talking a few games generally a couple+ years after release and maybe to entice PC gamers over to PlayStation

Death Stranding isn't first party is it?

Days Gone might be to see if a sequel is worth doing...but the point is that we're talking a few games generally a couple+ years after release and maybe to entice PC gamers over to PlayStation

SIE is the publisher. Not sure what the official definition of first party is but it's certainly a big name Playstation exclusive (or was).

You have an interesting way of calculating averages.

HZD - 3 years
Days Gone - 2 years

Average 3 years??

And all 3 of those big name games have launched in the last 10 months just around the time Sony have said they will start releasing more first part games on the PC. So I really don't think the record over the last 6 years or so is a particularly good bellwether for what will happen over the next 6.

First all the game engine have a PC version because HZD and Death Stranding share the same engine. And Days Gone use Unreal engine 4 a multiplatform engine.

Again Death Stranding was a game Kojima productions wanted to do a PC version and it was a condition to sign the deal with Kojima productions. And another fact Days Gone from a critical and sales point of view is a failure on Sony side, this is the reason the game will have no sequel. The life cycle was probably shorter than HZD or Uncharted 4.

Again your argument are made on faith or port begging, they can sold more PS4 port on PC too. My argument comes from numbers and fact. The main source of revenue and profit of Sony is the PSN games and DLC sales and services(including PSNow) after far behind it is first party games sales of new released title like TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima last year plus backlog first party game sales and last even further PSVR and revenue of PC port.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-23b-profits-43-5-yoy-330m-games-sold.416886/

vXSGpkq.png

K7DXEY8.png

oS85HnQ.png

PC port sales are in others with PSVR. Sold PC port made additional revenue and they finish the commercial life on PS4 or in the future PS5 because sold a first party game on PS4 or PS5 made more money for Sony than sold it on PC on another platform. When the sales of the game are very weak on console they will do a PC port like for HZD and Days Gone.

PSN is 69% of Playstation division revenue and probably a bigger part of profit.

If the PSN was as successful on PC than console, Sony would prefer sold third party games and service on PC because they lose money on console hardware and it would be much more profitable. But there is only one Steam.

Last edited:
SIE is the publisher. Not sure what the official definition of first party is but it's certainly a big name Playstation exclusive (or was).
I thought it was known even before launch it was coming to PC...but it's not first party in my book because Kojimas company is independent...I'd say he has a close working relationship with Sony is all.

First all the game engine have a PC version because HZD and Death Stranding share the same engine. And Days Gone use Unreal engine 4 a multiplatform engine.

Again Death Stranding was a game Kojima productions wanted to do a PC version and it was a condition to sign the deal with Kojima productions. And another fact Days Gone from a critical and sales point of view is a failure on Sony side, this is the reason the game will have no sequel. The life cycle was probably shorter than HZD or Uncharted 4.

Again your argument are made on faith or port begging, they can sold more PS4 port on PC too. My argument comes from numbers and fact. The main source of revenue and profit of Sony is the PSN games and DLC sales and services(including PSNow) after far behind it is first party games sales of new released title like TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima last year plus backlog first party game sales and last even further revenue of PC port.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-23b-profits-43-5-yoy-330m-games-sold.416886/

vXSGpkq.png

K7DXEY8.png

oS85HnQ.png

PC port sales are in others with PSVR.

PSN is 69% of Playstation division revenue and probably a bigger part of profit.

If the PSN was as successful on PC than console, Sony would prefer soldthird party games and service on PC because they lose money on console hardware and yt would be much more profitable.
Seeing that PSVR slice so small and added to 'Others' makes me sad :(

I thought it was known even before launch it was coming to PC...but it's not first party in my book because Kojimas company is independent...I'd say he has a close working relationship with Sony is all.

It was known. Sony said it early but after they tried to hide the PC version for sold as many as possible Death Stranding game on PS4.

Either way I don't really mind, TBH it would suit me if everything came to PC but I'm happy to have exclusives of the quality Sony bring...it makes buying their console worthwhile.

No, the trend is that actual PS exclusives make it to PC officially, which wasnt really the case before, in combination with a PS boss saying we can expect more of it in the future.
Were too early in the PS5 generation to conclude Sony wont release any ps5 games on pc.

Might be, but i doubt thats the case, no idea what a pc port has to do with a sequel anyway. PC port doing well might only strengthen the chances of more games on pc from that studio.

Thats more of a wild guess. Detroit made it to pc aswell.

Again your argument are made on faith or port begging

I seriously doubt that any true pc gamer is actually begging for most of the PS exclusives, but ok, another high level claim i see.

PC port sales are in others with PSVR.

Again, were just getting started, things could look differently in the future. Anyway, one thing is certain, some are really against the whole idea, no idea why. Some true outrages where everywhere whenever a exclusive wasnt all that exclusive anymore (remember the HZD outrage of a fan who destroyed a complete office).

HZD - 3 years
Days Gone - 2 years

You get an even lower average if you include MLB: The Show with its Day 1 releases.

Horizon Zero Dawn: PS4 game which was ported to PC a few months before the launch of the PS5.

Death Stranding: always a PS4 console exclusive, with a PC version confirmed early on.

Days Gone: PS4 game which was ported to PC a few months after the PS5 launch.

MLB: Sony don't own the license indefinitely, and making it multiplatform will have been a condition of renewing said license. What Microsoft do with content that releases on their platform is entirely their decision.

In terms of wholly owned PlayStation first party games coming to PC, the only position that the data currently supports is that previous generation games will release on PC.

That may change. Jim Ryan seems a pretty poor steward of PlayStation, so it wouldn't surprise me if he oversees decisions that pad profits for a few quarters - enough for him to retire rich - while ultimately laying foundations that render PlayStation largely irrelevant.

We just don't have data to support that at this moment.

Personally, I think that if Sony are to release more games on PC, they should create a PC storefront. If a PS4 game gets a PC port, release that port for the PS5 too. Anyone who has digitally bought the game on PlayStation can download it to PC. Anyone who has bought the game digitally can stream it via PS+ or PSNow. Do the same for current PS5 games if/when the PS5Pro releases.

Anyone who only plays on PC can play some PlayStation exclusives. Anyone who only plays on PlayStation gets a free upgrade. Anyone who plays on both gets both. No-one loses out and gets an inferior product.

I really hope Microsoft put pressure on Sony enough to oust Jim Ryan. Microsoft have demonstrated what vision and commitment to a subscription/streaming service can achieve. Sony were years ahead, but are now in a position where they're going to have to play catch-up. And so far we see no evidence that they are doing.

And who oversaw the meandering service of PSNow? Jim Ryan. Get rid.

No, the trend is that actual PS exclusives make it to PC officially, which wasnt really the case before, in combination with a PS boss saying we can expect more of it in the future.
Well there has to be a start to something, a reason to do it and future plans.

So of course there was no trend, we can only go by the current trend - and that is a couple of games which are 2-3 years old.
Of course we can expect more - that's a given, they question is what does 'more' mean? Since then we've had Days Gone announced right? Any others? Anything of significance? I mean, even Horizon isn't a massive established Sony IP - yes it did well and has a sequel coming, but it's not God of War...which would be a no brainer to print money with.
Were too early in the PS5 generation to conclude Sony wont release any ps5 games on pc.
Of course it's too early in PS5 lifecycle, but who is saying that anyway!? All I seem to see is you banging on about Sony releasing all it's crown jewels on PC...and that's a million miles from where we are.

My belief is sony is limited to around 100-200 million users if they don't do something differently. That something could be cloud gaming available in any platform, portable console, playstation games coming for phones or pc's,.... It's very logical for sony to test pc market and see if it would make sense to expand there. Those who are not willing to explore, change and grow are bound to become extinct.

Back